• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richjh
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2015

Organizing info from the 1500s and 1600s yDNA finds

I'm trying to organize a group of data from the 1500s and 1600s, Cookstown and Magherafelt, Northern Ireland. It is not like the census reports, birth, marriage and death info on Ancestry. This information does not provide a clear family history so it is hard determining sons and daughters, father's and uncles. The information I am getting is from various church registries.

What is the best way to keep track of information like this when I don't know definitely who the parents are? I just have mainly early marriage information. Any help will be appreciated.
    Rich
  • MoberlyDrake
    mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
    • May 2010

What about a genealogy program such as RootsMagic, etc.? Enter each couple and add the source for the info. Add any known relationships you come across.

Comment

• richjh
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2015

Thanks, I will take a look. I need something.
      Rich

Comment

• KATM
        mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
        • Nov 2012

The suggestion by MoberlyDrake is best.

Alternatively, you might also try entering the information into a spreadsheet. I've done that with the files (some for confirmed ancestors, some for possibilities) for Irish parish records from the NLI, just to keep track of those particular records. I use some color coding to group surnames/families, or space out the groups with a couple of blank lines between groups.

Other headings I use besides name are: Date, Sacrament (baptism or marriage), Microfilm #, NLI page #, Church, church location, date range (given by NLI), downloaded image name, legibility, Priest, Place/Address (if given), Father, Mother, Witness 1, Witness 2, Notes.

I use LibreOffice, and "freeze" the first column (Name), so I can scroll horizontally and still see which person's record info I'm viewing.

Comment

Working...
        X