Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 11th March 2015, 02:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

H1a3

Since I was offered the opportunity to do a free genetic screening at 23 and me I was given the H1a3 Haplogroup without having to spend a load of money for a full sequence here. I checked with James Lick's website,and his program verified it.

My question is where can I find something more than general H group info on this particular Haplogroup? I would like to get an idea of how long it was in Wales (where my most distant known ancestor was born) and how long this mutation of H has been around. It's really frustrating when all I get his some vague general stuff that is actually somewhat different from on website to another.
Old 11th March 2015, 02:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

@CJD1965 off-topic

I need urgently two Full Mitochondrial Sequences (i.e tests for two people).

How did you arrange that with 23andme to get FMS done?

Thank you!

W. (Mr.)
Old 11th March 2015, 03:07 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

Thank you!

W. (Mr.)
The 23andMe test doesn't include a full sequence of the mtDNA. They only test 2,000 or 3,000 of the 16,000+ mtDNA bases.

The OP should realize that while James Lick's tool agrees with the haplogroup assignment he was given by 23andMe, he had incomplete data to use in the tool's analysis. A full sequence of his mtDNA might reveal mutations that define a more downstream subclade or are new mutations, private to his maternal line.

Also, in general, mtDNA subclades are not specific enough based on the latest scientific studies to get the kind of information he's hoping to get. I doubt that there's enough data to say how long his particular subclade has been in Wales or any other specific location.
Old 11th March 2015, 03:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

Thank you!

W. (Mr.)
I was offered this as part of medical study. I was not only paid for my participation but I got a free account there with both the medical and the ancestry
Old 11th March 2015, 03:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD1965 View Post
I was offered this as part of medical study. I was not only paid for my participation but I got a free account there with both the medical and the ancestry
OK, a special VIP treatment

Thank you for answering - W. (Mr.)
Old 11th March 2015, 03:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
The 23andMe test doesn't include a full sequence of the mtDNA. They only test 2,000 or 3,000 of the 16,000+ mtDNA bases.
Not something I knew. I was given every indication to believe that my full Genome was being tested. *Sigh* so now I have to spend the money to upgrade my FTDNA test which is an insane amount. They run a very clever scam here moneywise.

Quote:
Also, in general, mtDNA subclades are not specific enough based on the latest scientific studies to get the kind of information he's hoping to get. I doubt that there's enough data to say how long his particular subclade has been in Wales or any other specific location.
In the past decade a complete evaluation was done by a few different labs in the UK and Ireland (including Wales of course) on the genetics of all the Isles with predictions based on the number of mutations. The information is out there there it is just a matter of finding it. The main reason that it's not given is that the finer points vary from one source to another. They only want to give what all sources believe to be fact.

There is also A LOT more data available than people realize. It's a matter of making it available and interpreted.
Old 14th February 2017, 01:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

I also am in the H1a3 mtDNA line.

Brenda