• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ECOSSE
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2018

1 GD at 67

First post here -

I have done yDNA 111 Markers. I am looking for my 2nd Great Grandfathers Parents as we believe he may have been adopted.

I show 3 people with a GD of 1 at 67 Markers and of these three I show one of them as a GD of 3 at 111 Markers.

Many matches with similar last name to this person.

As I am new to this, how close of a relationship do you think this is? Any suggestions in my quest would be helpful.

Steve
  • Jim Barrett
    R-BY55907
    • Apr 2003

See https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...s-interpreted/ and https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...s-interpreted/.

Comment

• ECOSSE
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jul 2018

Jim -

Than you for the links:

So the person I am looking at is a 12/12/, 25/25, 37/37, 66/67 and 108/111 to me, which I believe means we have a direct Paternal match no more than 9 Generations back?

So I find a person from this family living in the same small town in upstate NY as my 2nd Great Grandfather. I find this a strange coincidence. That puts me at 5 Generations? Would you think this fits? or would it be further back? I think I am on the right track... I just need my data confirmed by a second person.

Thanks again
      Steve

Comment

• georgian1950
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2012

I would say it fits. Those time estimates have great variability.

Jack

Comment

• MoberlyDrake
          mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
          • May 2010

Have you done the Family Finder test? If so, do you have any matches descended from the family you suspect?

If you can afford it test at Ancestry and maybe 23andMe and look for close matches descended from this family. Ancestry has a huge database and you are more likely to get matches, but you will get very few responses to your messages and you will have to spend hours creating trees for matches that interest you. And worst of all they have no chromosome browser. But sometimes the very size of the database compensates for all the drawbacks.

Comment

• ECOSSE
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jul 2018

Yes I do have Ancestry account and believe to of exhausted my research there. I do have a few matches to the surname I suspect, however, no concrete written documentation. The challenge with Ancestry autosomal DNA is it is only really good back about 4 generations... at 5 it gets really hit and miss.

Also at Ancestry many people just copy other trees without fact checking, therefore, there are many errors. I try to build on facts only which is more time consuming, however, I feel it is the best way.

The yDNA 111 has been my best hope at breaking through the walls I have at Ancestry.

Comment

• MoberlyDrake
              mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
              • May 2010

A Y-DNA test revealed an NPE in her line back around 2010. Once I had decided where I thought the break had occurred, I had to find a descendant of the man I suspected to do a Family Finder test. I had to settle for a descendant of his much younger brother, but it worked. My mother's grandfather was obviously the son of one of the two brothers anyway, but that was about 7 years ago. So many descendants of the suspected father have tested at Ancestry and 23andMe now, that today it would be obvious without having to find somebody and convince them to test. It's also very obvious which brother was the father.

I managed to find out who the real father's parents were without any trouble at all, and I've been stuck at that point ever since. Neither records nor DNA have revealed the identity of Mom's 3rd great-grandparents. The best I can say is that the ancestors of her closest DNA matches with the surnames of her 2nd great-grandparents (beyond those descended from her 2nd great-grandparents themselves) lived in the area where her 2nd great-grandparents married.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                R-BY55907
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ECOSSE View Post
                Yes I do have Ancestry account and believe to of exhausted my research there. I do have a few matches to the surname I suspect, however, no concrete written documentation. The challenge with Ancestry autosomal DNA is it is only really good back about 4 generations... at 5 it gets really hit and miss.

Also at Ancestry many people just copy other trees without fact checking, therefore, there are many errors. I try to build on facts only which is more time consuming, however, I feel it is the best way.

The yDNA 111 has been my best hope at breaking through the walls I have at Ancestry.
                Are you saying that just coping other trees isn't doing real research? Sorry, I just couldn't resist that!

Paper trails can provide false information. People researching my family would believe I have twin brothers. Our birth certificate all list the same parents, but we have always known they were adopted.

I know of a case where the birth certificate says John is the father and Y-DNA says Joe is the father. Joe is in Haplogroup R, the son is in Haplogroup R and John, the named father, is in Haplogroup I. Family Finder also shows a close relationship between Joe and the son, but none between John and the son.

Comment

• ECOSSE
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jul 2018

OK, I think I struck gold... I have some exciting news on my search. The family I have suspected just posted a 111 yDNA that matches me at 1 GD.

DYS534 is only difference in value.

I think this is pretty rare.

Any thoughts or direction/advice on this will be appreciated.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• georgian1950
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by ECOSSE View Post
                    OK, I think I struck gold... I have some exciting news on my search. The family I have suspected just posted a 111 yDNA that matches me at 1 GD.
                    Congratulations! I thought a GD of (111,3) was pretty damn close.

Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X