Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 12th May 2018, 12:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Cannot see Group Project Pages

Problem first occurred in Firefox a while back. But switched to Safari, and it was okay. Now the same problem in Safari as of 12 May 2018.
Reported to Tech Support.
If I try to access my Group Projects from either the Project List or from the Globe/Messages in the Title Bar, it navigates to the page fine. However, after displaying the page titles and the Cover Photo, nothing else appears. The navigation controls are absent, and the content does not populate.
With both the latest Firefox, and Safari out of commission, I cannot access my Groups at all.
PowerMac 15, OS X 10.11.6, Safari 11.1. Firefox 60.1
Need this fixed, ASAP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTDNA.jpg (607.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th May 2018, 07:06 AM
R-BY39877

Are you talking about the "Public" website for your project.

I just viewed several and didn't see any problem. I'm using a PC and Google Chrome.
Old 12th May 2018, 07:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Are you talking about the "Public" website for your project.

I just viewed several and didn't see any problem. I'm using a PC and Google Chrome.
Yes, the Public Web sites. As I said, I am on a Mac, not a PC. I did attach a screen shot of the problem to my previous message.

Initially, this only happened under Firefox - started around V59, and now 60.

Now it's also happening in Safari.

I need to get into my Project feeds. This problem is completely blocking me.

Wonder if it is related to recent FTDNA Privacy upgrades?

Last edited by joe4227; 12th May 2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12th May 2018, 08:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4227 View Post
Yes, the Public Web sites. As I said, I am on a Mac, not a PC. I did attach a screen shot of the problem to my previous message.

Initially, this only happened under Firefox - started around V59, and now 60.

Now it's also happening in Safari.

I need to get into my Project feeds. This problem is completely blocking me.

Wonder if it is related to recent Privacy upgrades?
You may want to try to download Firefox 52.8 for macOS from the page
Download Firefox Extended Support Release in your language
www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
and give it a try. Especially if your Firefox stopped working after March of 2017.

On that page, the default is 60, so first you have to click on Firefox 52 to switch.

Mr. W.
Old 12th May 2018, 09:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
You may want to try to download Firefox 52.8
Mr. W.
That would be a security conflict. Since it doesn't work in either Firefox or Safari, it's not a solution. The browser updates are generally driven by security updates, retrograding from the current install is not recommended.

And it's not a Firefox or Safari that aren't working. Both browsers work fine for all my other usage. (35 Years IT experience, here, so yes I HAVE checked that).

This is only an FTDNA website problem. It needs to be fixed at their end.

If other Mac users are seeing the same thing, please submit a ticket request to FTDA Support, so we can get this fixed properly.

Screen shot is attached to the first post.

Last edited by joe4227; 12th May 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12th May 2018, 11:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

I agree that the problem is with the FTDNA website. I had seen many weird problems with FTDNA pages that miraculously went away after a browser or a browser version had been changed.

The page I have referenced is for a special
Extended Support Release (ESR)
that has the same security as the current Firefox release, but the feature set of Firefox 52.

Since you have IT experience, you may find Firefox ESR a useful addition to your set of tools.

I am not trying to troubleshoot FTDNA problems, I am merely suggesting avenues to make things working for you. Another one would be trying the
Firefox Developer Edition
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/all/
When using Windows or Linux, that edition can be installed alongside the regular Firefox or Firefox ESR. Possibly it is the same on a Mac. If it works, you could use it only for FTDNA...

Mr. W.

P.S.
Your attachment is not approved, yet.

Last edited by dna; 12th May 2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Tested under Firefox Release 52 Extended Support Release (ESR)

Okay, I installed and used the Firefox V52 Extended Support Release (ESR).

Flushed the cache, logged into FTDNA, selected a message from the message list, which then opened the Group Project page.

Voila! It's the same. Nothing below the cover picture. Page does not complete. No navigation frame.

It's as shown in the attachment to my initial post. How long does it tale for attachments to be "approved?"

Note that this behaviour has a long history, dating back to 2014, and seems to indicate a regular recurrence. I suspect it happens after updates to the site, and something gets forgotten by the programmers - who almost certainly are working on PC's (not Macs) and don't see it...

Last edited by joe4227; 13th May 2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 13th May 2018, 08:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

I think it's the Sale Banner!

I finally got it working. I found that AdBlockUltimate was blocking the content. It wasn't doing this previously - it seems that perhaps the Sale Banner is causing the AdBlocker to kick in, and that disables the load of the content.

I set the Ad Blocker to "Off for this Website" and Voila! Now working and displaying full content.

Closing this thread...
Old 15th May 2018, 05:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Just really tired of this...
no, not Windows or Mac, it is Linux and Chrome here.
I try to load project pages and their DNA results. For several days I "Houston, we have a problem". I just reload and reload for several days, but it is still the same.
FTDNA has obviously no capacity on their servers, they have never counted for a server with 1 mill users...
Really tired of this "Houston, we got a problem..."
Nice for you, fix it for us, your customers.

Last edited by karwiso; 15th May 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 15th May 2018, 06:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwiso View Post
Just really tired of this...
no, not Windows or Mac, it is Linux and Chrome here.
I try to load project pages and their DNA results. For several days I "Houston, we have a problem". I just reload and reload for several days, but it is still the same.
FTDNA has obviously no capacity on their servers, they have never counted for a server with 1 mill users...
Really tired of this "Houston, we got a problem..."
Nice for you, fix it for us, your customers.
This is not my preferred platform! However, in my experience a quick test on Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge**** usually shows whether there is an error in FTDNA code or the service is down.

Microsoft Edge on an Android device (a smartphone, tablet, etc.) would not be the same, since a different engine is used.

Mr. W.

And not using In-Private and temporarily turning off ad-blockers etc.