Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 13th May 2018, 12:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

Losing Ysearch and MitoSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Hello all,

I wanted to let you know that it looks like Ysearch and Mitosearch are finally going to be shut down. Management is aiming for the end of this month but the exact date has not been announced yet. I would recommend getting whatever data you may want off of it as soon as possible.

-Darren
Family Tree DNA
How do we get our data off the site? Does this mean that results of tests we have paid for will be lost to us? If so, do we get a refund?
I had uploaded my data to Mitosearch but a couple of years ago it already said it was no longer accessible or supported.
I recall seeing a colourful spreadsheet of my results on the site but didn't know how to interpret them. I can't find that spreadsheet now. Was that the Mitosearch and Ysearch data?
Old 13th May 2018, 12:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
How do we get our data off the site? Does this mean that results of tests we have paid for will be lost to us? If so, do we get a refund?
I had uploaded my data to Mitosearch but a couple of years ago it already said it was no longer accessible or supported.
I recall seeing a colourful spreadsheet of my results on the site but didn't know how to interpret them. I can't find that spreadsheet now. Was that the Mitosearch and Ysearch data?
If you paid, then you paid somewhere else.

Mr. W.
Old 13th May 2018, 06:18 AM
mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253

ySearch option

I just attempted to access a project member yDNA results for YSearch and the option no longer appears at the bottom of the Results page. Looks like to me it is already gone!
Old 13th May 2018, 08:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Your mtDNA will still be on your myFTDNA website. That is what you paid for. If you want that deleted call FTDNA and tell them to delete it. You will not get a refund for that, because are asking them to remove the data and destroy your DNA sample.

Mitosearch was a free database offered by FTDNA. Back when Ancestry sold Y-DNA and mtDNA it made sense to have a database where data from different companies could be compared.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

As I understand it - Geni created profiles on Geni for all the profiles on YSearch and Mitosearch - with the DNA Results attached to them - believe this was done before they announced profiles on Geni could be linked to FTDNA - which was announced on 6/30/2017 (https://www.geni.com/discussions/157595?msg=1092618 )

per recent statement: https://www.geni.com/discussions/157595?msg=1216632 "The transfer of all the profiles from Ysearch and Mitosearch to Geni is a part of the plan to close down those sites."
Old 19th May 2018, 09:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Deplorable loss for Y-STR research

I've been volunteering to help a research project here in the Czech Republic that for years has been providing people with at least basically researched male lines with the possibility of getting a small set of their Y-STR markers determined free of charge. For many Czechs (more than two thousand at this moment), this has been their first encounter with genetic genealogy.

The project was wise enough to set up its own public Czech Y-STR database at http://www.genebaze.cz/cgi-bin/cyd.cgi?lang=us&n=cz but Ysearch has always been an important part of the process, because it enabled comparisons with an international collection of samples and it was also a way of making our results available to the public. A few participants have even actually managed to discover new relationships by means of a match on Ysearch, and for many more this overall experience has been a gate into more advanced testing (more markers, Y-SNP, atDNA...) with the commercial companies (and we have always recommended FTDNA because of its long history and good reputation).

I regret Ysearch being shut down, not because of the software (which has indeed been broken for many years), but because of all the data and effort that hundreds of thousands of people have invested into it. Should this data really disappear for good this Thursday, it would mean another little Library of Alexandria burnt down. The recent post about Geni possibly stepping into the process gives some hope, and I still hope that at least someone is going to make a backup of all of that, keep it at home and republish some fifty years into the future, when all or most of those tested are dead and protection does not apply anymore.

It's not true that Ysearch is not needed today because FTDNA is the only company that is doing Y-STR, so everyone can use their internal database. To the contrary, as indicated on its main page, almost 12 % of Ysearch's 220.000 records come from other labs. These are NOT going to be found in FTDNA's internal database - and possibly anywhere else - after Ysearch is closed.

A big part of that endangered data are probably precious haplotypes which have already once been saved when Ancestry.com deleted their own Y-STR data and data from other databases they had acquired, including the Sorenson project, to the anger of many. If those profiles are not taken care for today (curators have died or are otherwise inactive), chances are it will not survive this Thursday.

We genealogists give immense value to any sources of information on our ancestors that have had the luck of surviving to these days to inform us about our own past. By neglecting to protect and save a part of our current research, we are willingly destroying would-be treasures for future generations of genealogists.

As for our research project, we regret loosing the possibility of uploading our results into the last public international Y-STR database out there. There must be other private/non-commercial labs and researchers who produce Y-STR results and link them to genealogy (it does not all have to be just about forensics and anonymity) and these people and their clients now find themselves abandoned, because - to a great loss for science - they are not a part of FTDNA. Independent researchers are truly losing their last place for sharing Y-STR data when Ysearch is closing.
Old 19th May 2018, 11:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

@blahma

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahma View Post
[----] The project was wise enough to set up its own public Czech Y-STR database at http://www.genebaze.cz/cgi-bin/cyd.cgi?lang=us&n=cz but Ysearch has always been an important part of the process, because it enabled comparisons with an international collection of samples and it was also a way of making our results available to the public. [----]
Hello blahma, how are you changing for GDPR? Are you ready yet? Czechia is in the European Union...

Mr. W.
Old 19th May 2018, 06:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Wish they would at least offer a consolation prize that until they shut it down: reinstate the ability to send messages to the owner of the sequences one is interested in. (that has not been functional for a few years) There remains a couple of very important sequences there and would like to see if the owners are interested in further testing.

Sad day for me as well. I've used mitosearch for several research projects.

There really is no substitute even if 100 percent of the entries were from ftdna. I've found ftdna's replacement for mtdna data very hard to use, and don't even know if that's still accessible.

Is there somewhere I can find out more about geni? Guess I should google it.

And I also miss the Sorenson data. I didn't realize was gone for ever. That was some of the earliest data I used to make progress. have some of the trees somewhere. there's another database I used to use that was changed to the point where one can no longer search and they don't do analyses like the used to- hmdb or some such. so sad.

ok, will try now to pull some data off mitosearch before I forget.

update: Uh Oh. the 91 sequences I want say that the URL cannot be found when I try to pull up all the sequences (the "compare" option). I will try one at a time, but even if that works, I can't download them one at a time. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by penguin; 19th May 2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 20th May 2018, 08:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Hello blahma, how are you changing for GDPR? Are you ready yet? Czechia is in the European Union...
Mr. W.
Since the beginning, the project has been asking for a formal consent from each participant in a form approved by the Czech data protection institute. It may therefore well be the case that nothing changes for the database and we might just want to update the name of the law that this is ruled by. Also, the lab is run by a public research institution, and AFAIK there are somewhat different rules for public institutions and for research. But IANAL and there are lawyers who oversee the project's workflow and say that we are not in trouble.

That's therefore a different case than Ysearch, which has never asked for any explicit consent during data upload and only had a short and general Disclaimer page: http://www.ysearch.org/disclaimer.asp I guess that's a part of the problem (they would need to attempt at contacting all the users and getting a formal consent from each, which would mean a substantial amount of effort and would not save any unattended data anyway). Compare this to GEDmatch, which has just today started asking its users to approve a new and lengthy privacy policy and it keeps running...
Old 20th May 2018, 10:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Angry EU GDPR

Draconian nazi crap.