Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 10th May 2018, 02:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Exclamation HELP Finding Father

I recently received my results for the Y-111 and have several matches. I wanted to know how I determine that someone is a "close" relative vs someone who is less significant? I have several other users with the same haplo R-M198 and a "distance" of 0 so I don't know how to determine who is a significant relative or not. I have done both ancestry and 23andme and they are both much easier regarding significance of relationship. I know that both of those companies are maternal and paternal both so they are different which is the main reason I did the expensive Y-111 test.
Old 10th May 2018, 06:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Autosomal tests are used for finding close relatives. Most, if not all, companies show relationships of autosomal matches. FTDNA does this with their autosomal test (Family Finder) just as 23andMe, Ancestry, MyHeritage and other companies.

FTDNA dose suggest the closeness of Y-DNA using TiPs, but the suggestion is for multiple generations.

This is simply the difference in what can be predicted by the different types of test.

You can add Family Finder to the kit with Y-DNA so an additional sample would not be required. Family Finder is included in the current Mother's Day sale at FTDNA.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

Matching someone with distance zero (meaning, an exact match, no differences) when both of you have taken the Y-111 test is definitely significant! However, it remains possible that the common patrilineal ancestor is several generations back, and there's no way to be sure exactly how far back, because mutations are random. Many of us, including me, have no good Y-111 matches at all. I don't even have any really close Y-67 matches, let alone any with my surname. (I followed up by taking the Big Y test, which shows that my McCoy family is out on a little twig far removed from the "other" McCoy families, so I can safely ignore them in my research! So, even a negative result can be useful.)

However, be sure to read the fine print! If FTDNA finds no "matches" at the Y-111 level, it will next look for matches at the Y-67 level. You have to read the labels carefully to be sure what "level" of matching FTDNA is showing you! A Y-67 match with distance 0 is still significant, but probably not as much as a true Y-111 match.

The recommendation to consider taking the Family Finder test is exactly right. If there are any close relatives who have taken the Family Finder test, they will show up. Also, after you take the Family Finder test, you can transfer your raw data from that test to the free GEDmatch site, where there are better tools and where you may find matches who have tested with other vendors. The number of people who have taken autosomal DNA tests continues to grow; it is no longer unusual to find unexpected second or third cousins just by chance, and some of them probably have information you have weren't aware of!
Old 10th May 2018, 07:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

R-M198 is a old parent subclade branch of R.
It is said to be formed 14100 ybp, TMRCA 8500 ybp
There are many more recent subclade branches under R-M198
https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-M198/

FTDNA does not test YDNA SNPs on their yDNA STR tests, which are needed for full haplogroup placement. They only predict a very basic parent branch. One has to do addition SNP testing if one wants to know full haplogroup label.

Many unrelated men will be R-M198.

STR matching is more important then Haplogroup label, unless you and match have done Full yDNA testing (yDNA SNP testing to determine final known subclade branch, ie BigY)
Old 11th May 2018, 12:39 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

If you are looking for an unknown parent, you should focus on really close matches on autosomal DNA tests, such as Family Finder. So the Ancestry.com DNA test also and the DNA test at 23andMe too, if you can afford it.

You may have to do a lot of work creating trees for matches who have none, or very small ones.

On your Y-DNA test, if your closest matches at 37 and 67 markers tend to have the same surname, you may have found the surname of your father, and if you know where your mother was living at the time you were conceived, you can start searching records there for men with that surname. You didn't say how much info you have already.
Old 13th May 2018, 10:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriekkola View Post
I recently received my results for the Y-111 and have several matches. I wanted to know how I determine that someone is a "close" relative vs someone who is less significant? I have several other users with the same haplo R-M198 and a "distance" of 0 so I don't know how to determine who is a significant relative or not. I have done both ancestry and 23andme and they are both much easier regarding significance of relationship. I know that both of those companies are maternal and paternal both so they are different which is the main reason I did the expensive Y-111 test.
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/ydna/ - scroll down to the chart. A genetic distance of 0 at 111 markers means there's a 95% chance that you're most recent common ancestor is from within 5 generations ago. That's a 3rd great grandfather or more recent - meaning you are very likely 4th cousins or closer. (Keep in mind, if they tested at a lower marker, then you don't know whether you match at 111 markers - they would have to upgrade to find out - if they tested at 67 markers, for example, a GD of 0 means there is a 95% chance your most recent common ancestor was within 7 generations ago, not 5 - that means a 5th great grandfather or more recent, or a 6th cousin or closer).

Do all the matches with a GD of 0 have the same surname? If so, that's most probably your biological father's surname. Do they note who their most distant known paternal ancestor was? If so, you should start building a male descendant family tree for that ancestor, looking for males who were the right age in the right place at the right time. Additionally, look for that surname in your autosomal DNA matches.