Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Basics

X-DNA Basics This forum is for newbie topics about the X-Chromosome. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 23rd November 2017, 06:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

A question regarding xmatch and paternal grandmother

Hi I've had my mother and her male first cousin take the FF test. They are the children of two brothers born to a Scottish tea planter and Kussum a Bengali tea garden worker. I'm finding in the resulting phased paternal matches a little less than half are also x matches to my mother. I believe this is through Kussum. Even if I disregard the smaller X segments I have one 8+ cM and another 12+ cM but these as well as the discarded ones certainly have very definite European ancestral family names. Am I to assume Kussum was Anglo Indian ?If this is so, it opens up to some exciting research avenues. Or, am I getting this all wrong? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

If I am understanding correctly .... male cousin would not inherit x DNA from paternal grandmother. His x only comes from his maternal grandparents, no father to son inheritance, father passes His Y to sons.

So perhaps his mother is tied into this paternal grandmother line or his mother ties your paternal grandfathers line (grandfather maternal grandparents)
Old 25th November 2017, 09:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. These are not x match to the male cousin. Of course his X comes from his mother They are x matches to my mother
. They are not from her mother because they are listed under the 'Paternal'tab after I linked the cousin to mum so I believe that it is the x she received through her father from his mother the Bengali lady.
The 12+cM on the x is a female who, with some of the other of the x matches also matche with someone where the RCA is through the line of the tea planter ...just to make things more confusing. Please ask more questions if I haven't made things clearer. Thank you
Old 25th November 2017, 10:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

Once you get past the first few generations, X-matching is a complete waste of thought and time. You will not get any meaningful information from it. People, both expert and layman, are missing something really huge. Almost all X-matches are not IBD, but are built up by having multiple paths to a common ancestor.

Jack

Last edited by georgian1950; 25th November 2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add word
Old 26th November 2017, 01:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

This was

Actually Jack that makes some sense 13 and 12 gens back my mums paternal grandfather , the tea planter and maternal grandmother have a common ancestor.James Douglas 7 baron Drumlanrigg who had two or more marrages and many illegitimate offspring. Perhaps there are many more paths to his line .Scottish nobility had a very small gene pool.
Thank you