Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 13th May 2017, 03:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

My origins 2.0 is completely wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ritchie View Post
I totally agree, I received no Iberian and I have ancestry directly from there.
I could not get FT to answer the question as to why it disappeared. My closest
match on family finder has a last name that is Spanish, and one of the sir names from my family on my fathers side? But still received 0% Iberian.
Old 14th May 2017, 01:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Origins 2.0 results didn't really change that much (my Scandinavian did go from 36% to 51%), but my mother's results changed dramatically. And yes, they currently make a lot more sense than they did before.

Last edited by Frank Kelch; 14th May 2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 15th May 2017, 09:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
From experience, I don't expect any "fixes", but at some point in the future, another version of MyOrigins will be rolled out and we will all be amazed that the results are, again, different from all previous versions. In some ways this is all groping around in the dark, because there doesn't seem to be an independent way to test the results.
There is. Find a lot of family groups and compare the results of the children with the results of the parents. If any of the children are completely missing components that the parents have in abundance and/or a child gets a component at a much larger amount than exists in the parents then there is a problem with the calculator. Guess what. That has already been shown to be happening with myOrigins 2.0 at a higher rate than is acceptable.
Old 15th May 2017, 09:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
My Origins 2.0 results didn't really change that much (my Scandinavian did go from 36% to 51%), but my mother's results changed dramatically. And yes, they currently make a lot more sense than they did before.
That is not surprising for even 70-80% of the customers. Having a lot of customers with good results doesn't prove that the calculator is good. Even if only 20-30% of the people have results that don't make sense it is still way too many. When a substantial number of people that really do have a significant amount of DNA from specific ethnicity, proven by results from the parents and from other companies, that is targeted by the calculator but get 0% there is a big problem with the calculator.
Old 15th May 2017, 09:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daragon36 View Post
Armando,
That could be, but a lot of people complaining do seem to have a lack of understanding when it comes to such things.
The important thing is to look at the posts or results of the people that have been involved with DNA testing for a long time, have a very good understanding of it, and have a lot of family members tested and there are plenty of people like that with complaints about the myOrigins 2.0 results.

Quote:
Never tried 23andMe, and from everything I've read about them makes me never want to.
The complaints aren't about the ethnicity results and that is the subject we are discussing.

Quote:
I can't really complain about Ancestry, only thing is they are missing some useful tools like Chromosome browsers and such.
Just as an example, the ethnicity results give too much Iberian to northern Europeans. The tools are tangential to the topic of the ethnicity calculators.

Quote:
I do currently have a test that is processing over at Living DNA.
That has shown to be a good test so far but still in development and still not enough test results have been posted or parent-child groups compared.

Quote:
The thing is, Ethnicity tests are more of a novelty than they are for accuracy. No one should have the expectation of ethnicity results being accurate. There is an excellent post on DNA Explained about it.
Expectations should be based on what has been accomplished. The failure rate of myOrigins is much greater than the failure rate of 23andme which is so transparent that they post the failure rate of each ethnicity on a web page that is open to everyone. The posts by people that have tested at 23andme show a close match to what that page shows. So my expectation is for myOrigins to show something much closer to what 23andme shows for people especially since 23andme has a calculator that has the highest rate of more closely matching genealogical trees than any of the calculators except maybe LivingDNA. As for the DNA results of Roberta Estes her 23andme and myOrigins results are close to each other so her myOrigins results are about as good as can be expected. However, as I have stated before. The problem isn't that myOrigins 2.0 is incorrect for everyone because it isn't. It is incorrect for about 20-30% of the customers which is too high of a percentage.

Last edited by Armando; 15th May 2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 01:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
The important thing is to look at the posts or results of the people that have been involved with DNA testing for a long time, have a very good understanding of it, and have a lot of family members tested and there are plenty of people like that with complaints about the myOrigins 2.0 results.

The complaints aren't about the ethnicity results and that is the subject we are discussing.

Just as an example, the ethnicity results give too much Iberian to northern Europeans. The tools are tangential to the topic of the ethnicity calculators.

That has shown to be a good test so far but still in development and still not enough test results have been posted or parent-child groups compared.

Expectations should be based on what has been accomplished. The failure rate of myOrigins is much greater than the failure rate of 23andme which is so transparent that they post the failure rate of each ethnicity on a web page that is open to everyone. The posts by people that have tested at 23andme show a close match to what that page shows. So my expectation is for myOrigins to show something much closer to what 23andme shows for people especially since 23andme has a calculator that has the highest rate of more closely matching genealogical trees than any of the calculators except maybe LivingDNA. As for the DNA results of Roberta Estes her 23andme and myOrigins results are close to each other so her myOrigins results are about as good as can be expected. However, as I have stated before. The problem isn't that myOrigins 2.0 is incorrect for everyone because it isn't. It is incorrect for about 20-30% of the customers which is too high of a percentage.
Well said Armando and let's not forget those of us that get population matches that neither parent gets here at MyOrigins. This is the only test out of all of them to do this for me and my parents are my biological parents. That in itself has made me think this test is flawed especially as no one, not even FTDNA themselves despite me providing all the information they requested when I queried it with them, can tell me why this has happened.
Old 7th June 2017, 12:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Wow, my new results are significantly different. I went from 35% European Coastal Islands, 35% European Northlands, and 30% European Coastal Plain to now I am at 90% British Isles and 10% Eastern Europe. Based on my known genealogy the first results seem much more accurate.
Old 9th June 2017, 03:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Paying attention to the complaints

Quote:
Armando,
That could be, but a lot of people complaining do seem to have a lack of understanding when it comes to such things. Never tried 23andMe, and from everything I've read about them makes me never want to. I can't really complain about Ancestry, only thing is they are missing some useful tools like Chromosome browsers and such. I do currently have a test that is processing over at Living DNA.
The thing is, Ethnicity tests are more of a novelty than they are for accuracy. No one should have the expectation of ethnicity results being accurate. There is an excellent post on DNA Explained about it.
I wonder what I am missing or not understanding when neither of my parents show any Jewish in 2.0 and I am 11% Sephardic. I guess I am just one of those people who don't have your brilliant insight into generational autosomal DNA skipping. I bet for sure one of my grandparents had Sephardic and it jumped right past my parent and I inherited it! Why don't you take the time to read some of the complaints before you start insinuating things about other people's issues.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

All of my wife's known ancestors are from Germany and The Netherlands. On the previous version she scored Western and Central Europe 79%, Scandinavia 16%, and Finland and Northern Siberia 5%. The new version has her at: 44% British Isles, 35% Scandinavia, 20% East Europe, and less than 1% of West Middle East.
Old 18th June 2017, 03:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool My Origins

Hello all,
I am new to the forums, but not new to Family Tree DNA.
I was shocked to find "My Orgins" putting all my non British Isles DNA in one lump, in Italy and Greece, or Southern Europe.
This couldn't be more wrong and still be within Europe. My non British grandparents were Dutch, not Italian. Their names are Weiss and Wise. I have cousins in Germany and Holland, so how did our origins end up in Italy?
When I put the raw data into GEDmatch, the results came back accurate. Why?