Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 19th June 2012, 06:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you Darren & Matt. So with no guarantee that my late father's DNA will last another 23 years, can anyone give me some suggestions of what tests I could/should do with it? He did FMS and FF already, and I tested my yDNA. I don't want to waste the extra samples, one way or the other, that he gave me before he passed.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

how much DNA sample is used

The project I am in are asking me to do more SNPs but I think they will have to wait.

Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 08:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

DNA test from storage

I this sequence of testing that I have extracted from the history of
a sample from an elderly uncle of mine
===============
Y-DNA37
DeepSNP-J
Y-Refine37to67
DYS441
DYS445
DYS452
DYS461
DYS462
DYS463
DYS635
Y-GATA-A10
Y-GGAAT-1B07
Y-STR DNA-FP Panel 5 Palindromic Pack
Deep Clade Extended
Family Finder --- Failed new sample needed
=========================
I my case my uncle had moved to assisted living and getting another
sample took 18 months and FF test is still in process and due back yesterday
Nothing yet on that test no PF or FF data.
My advice on SNP testing would be to await what ever is the next or even
the following tests. However there are many variables in this such as the
quantity and quality of the original scraping. I have had samples work after
ten years and others I know of have failed after a few years.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

I am struggling with this issue as well - I'm being strongly encouraged by surname project members to upgrade my late father's yDNA test from 37 to 67 or 111 markers. I have already had these tests run: mtDNA (including FMS), 37-marker yDNA, yDNA deep clade testing, and Family Finder.

Other than the cost of the upgrade, I'm very hesitant because I'm afraid the DNA sample will be used up. (He originally had three vials). Can anyone tell me if I need to worry about that?
Old 6th May 2017, 08:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Is Big-Y your solution?

From what the FTDNA Customer Support analyst said in his reply, it sounds as if you may have enough supply for many additional tests.

With that said, since you will never be able to get another sample from your original donor, have you considered having the Big Y test, I believe that eliminates any need for additional SNP testing, at least with current science and technology.

Have you joined any Groups dedicated to your predicted or known Haplogroup? In most cases, the Administrators of those groups are very knowledgeable and experienced in placing sample results on the currently defined trees. And they can usually tell you which tests are applicable based on what information you already have.
Old 6th May 2017, 08:22 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

My mother's DNA has been in storage since March 2010. She's in her 90s. I've had FF and full sequence mtDNA done on her sample (and the Affy to Illumina change).

I was hoping her sample would keep in case they came out with something better, like maybe epigenetic testing or affordable full sequence. But how long will her DNA last, and what might the timetable be for epigenetic testing?

My father is deceased. His DNA has been in storage since June 2012.
Old 8th May 2017, 06:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

My cousin got his kit and ordered Y-DNA12 in Dec. 2002. After he died in 2015 I tried to add Family Finder, but there wasn't enough usable sample.

I got my own kit in Aug. 2002. I have upgraded Y-DNA twice, added mtDNA, Family Finder and two SNP Packs. I feel the quality of the sample is more important than the age of the sample.
Old 9th May 2017, 12:37 PM
Y:N-BY29051 mt:U8a1a1b1

Question Visual diagram of sample usage to tests

I want to see a diagram how much each test consumes dna-sample. So, I could be able to compare them. And then how much one sample contains dna. So, I could be able to see which test I can do to the sample. It's important when tested person has died after sampling and before order tests.

Do the dna dissolve to sample liquid homogeneous from the brush.
Old 11th May 2017, 06:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiru View Post
I want to see a diagram how much each test consumes dna-sample. So, I could be able to compare them. And then how much one sample contains dna. So, I could be able to see which test I can do to the sample. It's important when tested person has died after sampling and before order tests.
I do not think it is quite that simple.
Depending on how long they rubbed the inside of the cheek, how firmly, and probably other factors, how much DNA is in the sample almost certainly varies.

Am not sure what all is involved in "Quality of the Sample".

Sometimes a test fails due to problems with the testing - not sure, but possibility of accidental contamination, computer problem, or ?? If the test fails, they have to re-do, so more DNA is used.

But yes, as much info as they can give us would be great.
Old 12th May 2017, 10:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

I've recently been able to order FF and SNP tests over a sample of a deceased family member in storage since 11/2008.

I asked FTDNA before ordering, and they said they could not guarantee succesfull tests since it would depend on the status of the sample, and they suggested I ordered the tests one by one, and first the one I was more interested in. That's what I did, first FF (11/2016) and later SNPs (01/2017), and they both worked great.