X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Okiebirdnerd
    • Apr 2017

What test needed Female looking for half brother and nephew

My name is Teresa (Terri) Miller. Kit # 499411. I have only done a family finder test and want to know if a myDNA would help me with my father’s family. Or should I have my living brother do a test (which test) since I am searching my father’s side of the family for a half-brother I recently found out about. I am also searching for a nephew that my deceased brother fathered at 16 that was adopted... I am very new to all this find it overwhelming! . Any help would be appreciated! Thank you for your time.
  • ltd-jean-pull
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2016

Since you are looking for very close relatives your nephew and half-brother would both come up as very good autosomal matches (so the FamilyFinder test) to you and your living brother.

One thing to consider is that your relatives may have tested with another company, so your brother might want to test elsewhere.

Comment

• Okiebirdnerd
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
      Since you are looking for very close relatives your nephew and half-brother would both come up as very good autosomal matches (so the FamilyFinder test) to you and your living brother.

One thing to consider is that your relatives may have tested with another company, so your brother might want to test elsewhere.
      So if my half brother or nephew had done a test it would have shown up on my family finder test results? Can I submit my family finder test to other companies or do I have to take the test for each company?? Don't I need my brother to do a test to get farther along in my Miller tree since I can't find my grandfather Millers fathers parents? Should my brother do a Family Finder test or something different?
      Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate your time.
      Terri

Comment

• prairielad
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2011

You only received a random 50% of each parent. Siblings would also receive a random 50% of each parent, some will be shared with you and some not.

If parent is unavailable, it is best to test as many siblings as possible to get complete coverage of parents DNA. On average it takes about 4 siblings to cover missing parents full DNA.

If you have brothers or sisters of your father they would be even better candidates to test as they will have the greatest amount of DNA from the line you are searching.(They have 50% of each parent, where as you only have on average 25% of each of your Grandparents, their parents)

For missing nephew (or if Miller is your paternal line, fathers, fathers, father,ect), you could also look at testing your brothers yDNA testing at some point. All males of the same paternal line will have identical yDNA.

Family Finder is the better option to start with.

You can transfer Family Finder results to a site call Gedmatch for free, which has a database of multiple company testers to compare to (FTDNA, ANcestry, 23andme, weGenes, ect)
        Last edited by prairielad; 14 April 2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Okiebirdnerd
          • Apr 2017

You have been very helpful. I was thinking I might order the yDNA test for my brother and I'd like to do a family finder with my mom or my sister. I assume I should probably use my sister...What do you think?
          I really don't know if I will ever get past my great grandfather Miller since he came over from Germany in 1881 and I was always told our last name spelling of Miller had been changed and I was never told of the exact spelling. Plus his first name is Fred or Fredrick and I have not had luck since I have little to go on. I can't even find where he was buried. I have checked all the cemeteries in the county I was told he was buried in.
          Looking forward to hearing back from you. Terri

Comment

• Okiebirdnerd
            • Apr 2017

this is 208.00 right now~Family Finder plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence - For both males and females, our mtDNA test traces your maternal line.
            This one is 188.00 Male-specific bundle includes Family Finder plus our Y-chromosome test that analyzes 37-markers.
            Which should I use for my brother.
            Thank you! Terri

Comment

• khazaria
              FTDNA Customer
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Okiebirdnerd View Post
              I was thinking I might order the yDNA test for my brother and I'd like to do a family finder with my mom or my sister. I assume I should probably use my sister...What do you think?
              Terri,
              In addition to Prairielad's excellent advice about Family Finder and uploading the kits to the free site GEDmatch, you may also want to look into whether MyHeritage.com is still accepting free uploads of Family Tree DNA autosomal kits. Even though MyHeritage has a smaller database and has matching issues due to their use of imputation, there have still been some match successes made possible on that site, and not everybody from there has joined other sites.

Your sister should be tested with Family Finder, yes, to broaden the search for your father's side of the family, as that is the goal you expressed.

The Y-DNA test on your brother will give information about your father's father's father's father's line.

Comment

• MyTr33
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Okiebirdnerd View Post
                My name is Teresa (Terri) Miller. Kit # 499411. I have only done a family finder test and want to know if a myDNA would help me with my father’s family. Or should I have my living brother do a test (which test) since I am searching my father’s side of the family for a half-brother I recently found out about. I am also searching for a nephew that my deceased brother fathered at 16 that was adopted... I am very new to all this find it overwhelming! . Any help would be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Hi did you ever find the Miller family you were looking for? My Uncle (grandfathers son) is going to be tested here at FTDNA soon with Family Finder test...eventually maybe later this year a Y-DNA test starting at least the 67 marker (Miller is a common name) so maybe you will show as a match in Family Finder...I'm waiting on a sale to purchase his kit, so still would be several months away before results if they have a sale soon. He had a very extensive test done just last fall at 23 & me but I can't transfer his results to FTDNA because his test was a version 5 (different chip technology) so he has to take a test here too. Just touching base as a possibility because I will be managing his kit but if it turns out we are related we'll be back in touch then! * I sent you a PM with my Uncle's name.
                Last edited by MyTr33; 11 July 2018, 02:30 PM. Reason: too much private info on a public forum

Comment

• Okiebirdnerd
                  • Apr 2017

Hi MyTr33, I have all my family dna on GEDmatch also. Have you added your DNA to GEDmatch? It is free.

Originally posted by MyTr33 View Post
                  Hi did you ever find the Miller family you were looking for? My Uncle (grandfathers son) is going to be tested here at FTDNA soon with Family Finder test...eventually maybe later this year a Y-DNA test starting at least the 67 marker (Miller is a common name) so maybe you will show as a match in Family Finder...I'm waiting on a sale to purchase his kit, so still would be several months away before results if they have a sale soon. He had a very extensive test done just last fall at 23 & me but I can't transfer his results to FTDNA because his test was a version 5 (different chip technology) so he has to take a test here too. Just touching base as a possibility because I will be managing his kit but if it turns out we are related we'll be back in touch then! * I sent you a PM with my Uncle's name.

Comment

Working...
                  X