• Show
Clear All
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

On the other hand. . .

Originally posted by Raffwal View Post
    Batch 847

Bummer. Another delay to 06/11/2018 - 06/25/2018 for my mt Full sequence and FF ordered as an upgrade March 31 from my years old Y 67 & mt HRV1/2 tests.

Delay after delay. I wonder if FTDNA has now more customers than they can handle...
    And another 2 week delay to my mtDNA full seq batch 847. My FF from the same batch was finished more than a week ago...
    When you say "years old" earlier tests, how many years does that mean? Although FTDNA will store our DNA samples for 25 years, how many of them are viable for that length of time, and even at 5 or 10 years? Additionally, when someone has had other tests done, as you have, there may or may not be enough useable sample left to complete as many new tests as one may wish.

mtDNAFullSequence tests, if I'm not mistaken, take longer to complete, certainly longer than Family Finder tests. Among the kits I administer, I've had two males who've had multiple tests done: one was able to have the mtDNAFullSequence, Y-DNA 67, an upgrade from Y-67 to Y-111, a SNP pack and the BigY* completed successfully; the other had FF, Y-DNA 67, Y-67 upgraded to Y-111, but then not enough sample left to complete the BigY. So, one kit had 4-5 tests done, and the other was only able to have 3 tests done on the original two vials.

Some tests use more DNA than others, and some samples do not have the optimum quality that allows multiple tests to be completed. FTDNA shows on this page, "After I return the kit, how long will results take?" that usual processing times for FF is 4-6 weeks, for other tests 6-8 weeks, and for Big Y usually 8-10 weeks (although the notice currently shows that Big Y is having delays to 10-12 weeks, as of June 6).

The bottom line is that FTDNA may end up sending you a kit for more DNA samples, if there is not enough left from your original samples to complete the Full Sequence test.

*This first tester had submitted extra vials after the first three tests (to preemptively store for future needs, not because the original sample was insufficient), and although I don't think so, I have no idea if more than the original two vials were used to complete the last two tests listed. The SNP pack and BigY were done after the extra vials had been sent in.

Comment

• Ankor
      FTDNA Customer
      • Dec 2017

Batch 858

Today I received the results for my kit from batch 858

Comment

• bbousquet
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jan 2018

mtFullSequence

Batched: 2018-05-14 (batch 859)
        Completed: 2018-06-14

31 days. That's the fastest of the 3 mtFullSequence tests I've ordered so far.

Comment

• Raffwal
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2018

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          When you say "years old" earlier tests, how many years does that mean? Although FTDNA will store our DNA samples for 25 years, how many of them are viable for that length of time, and even at 5 or 10 years? Additionally, when someone has had other tests done, as you have, there may or may not be enough useable sample left to complete as many new tests as one may wish.
          I think it is about 8 years. I have been wondering if they can still use the original sample, but I assume they'll contact me if that is not possible. Also, while ordering these upgrades, there has been no information about the original sample possibly not being sufficient.

Comment

• KATM
            • Nov 2012

I think it is about 8 years. I have been wondering if they can still use the original sample, but I assume they'll contact me if that is not possible. Also, while ordering these upgrades, there has been no information about the original sample possibly not being sufficient.
            I can only compare this type of situation with one I had involving an upgrade to BigY. It turned out that the person testing ultimately did not have a sufficient amount of usable DNA in his sample to complete the test, but I (as manager of the kit, with my email address for the kit) was not informed. I also found that FTDNA will not inform you when they've sent a replacement kit out.

After I'd ordered the BigY, the expected date kept getting pushed out, eight times for over three months; it's just an automated thing. I had other things going on so wasn't keeping up with it, but I finally contacted Customer Service, and was told a new kit had been mailed out in the middle of that three month period. Because the kit was, rightly, mailed to the address in the kit account and not my address, I'd been unaware of that. The recipients (relatives of the testing person who had helped the elderly tester obtain the original DNA sample) did not reply to me when I asked if they'd received it. From there it's a long story, but in the end another replacement kit was delivered to a different relative who agreed to help the tester use it. It was about to be used, but unfortunately the intended user passed away the night before. So it goes with long distance participants, middlemen, and poor communication; a lesson learned too late.

The point to take from all of that, for cases when a new sample is needed, is: make sure the address in your account is up to date, so if FTDNA needs to send a replacement kit, it will be delivered to you. They don't tell you that your sample is insufficient, and a new kit will just arrive one day, with no notice.
            Last edited by KATM; 15 June 2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Raffwal
              FTDNA Customer
              • May 2018

Originally posted by KATM View Post
              The point to take from all of that, for cases when a new sample is needed, is: make sure the address in your account is up to date, so if FTDNA needs to send a replacement kit, it will be delivered to you. They don't tell you that your sample is insufficient, and a new kit will just arrive one day, with no notice.
              That's a good point. Thanks, I'll check it as I have moved twice during these years.

EDIT: I had the correct city and post code, but no street address. Hope they didn't already send one without a proper address.
              Last edited by Raffwal; 15 June 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• KATM
                • Nov 2012

That's a good point. Thanks, I'll check it as I have moved twice during these years.

EDIT: I had the correct city and post code, but no street address. Hope they didn't already send one without a proper address.
                Call them to see what the status is, but during the hours shown at the link for Customer Support, at the top right of these pages, under the "Support" heading.

Comment

• nihilsciens
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jul 2016

Batch 857

Waiting for an mtFull test in batch 857. Expected date is between 07/02/2018 - 07/16/2018. I hope it might be done next week or the week after that.

Comment

• moonsugar
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2018

Batch 859

Originally posted by bbousquet View Post
                    mtFullSequence

Batched: 2018-05-14 (batch 859)
                    Completed: 2018-06-14

31 days. That's the fastest of the 3 mtFullSequence tests I've ordered so far.
                    I also have a mtdna full sequence kit in batch 859 (batched on 05/14) but as of today it is still not completed.

I thought batches are supposed to finish around the same time. So now I'm confused.

Comment

• GenP
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Apr 2018

Batch 859

Same here. Hopefully the rest of the mtdna results for 859 will come through this week.

Comment

• nihilsciens
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jul 2016

Batch 857

Still waiting for batch 857.

Expected date is 07/02/2018 - 07/16/2018.

It is unchanged from the first date I received. I wonder if anyone else have received results from this batch yet.

Comment

• moonsugar
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jun 2018

Batch 859

Originally posted by moonsugar View Post
                          I also have a mtdna full sequence kit in batch 859 (batched on 05/14) but as of today it is still not completed.

I thought batches are supposed to finish around the same time. So now I'm confused.
                          Update: Finished today!
                          Ordered 05/01/2018
                          Batched 05/14/2018
                          Completed 06/20/2018

Comment

• GenP
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Apr 2018

Batch 859

Still waiting for mine

Comment

• nihilsciens
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jul 2016

Batch 857

How peculiar! My expected date actually moved BACK:

06/18/2018 - 07/02/2018

Previous expected date was:

07/02/2018 - 07/16/2018

Comment

• GenP
                                FTDNA Customer
                                • Apr 2018

Delayed

Ordered 05/13/2018
                                Batched 05/14/2018
                                Now moved to 07/09/2018 - 07/23/2018

This is a shame as y12 to y37 upgrade came through a month early.

Comment

Working...
                                X