X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GhostX
    • Jan 2008

Which FTDNA results transfer to GP?

I was just about to transfer my preliminary Y-DNA1-12 and HVR1 and HVR2 test results from FTDNA to the Genographic Project (using the function in FTDNA's personal page), when something occurred to me...

I am still waiting on the results of my Y-DNA13-67 and my deep clade R1b1c and H tests. Should I wait until all those results are in before I transfer my results to GP, or do only the basic markers transfer over? I am somewhat anxious to confirm whether GP will confirm FTDNA's haplogroup assignment estimate.

The description for the transfer on the FTDNA personal page says that "you will be able to upload your 12-marker results and/or your mtDNA to the Genographic Project," but I'm wondering if that wording changes once you have more panel results available.
  • darroll
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by GhostX
    The description for the transfer on the FTDNA personal page says that "you will be able to upload your 12-marker results and/or your mtDNA to the Genographic Project," but I'm wondering if that wording changes once you have more panel results available.

You can transfer your test results to NG at any time or as many times as you wish. d

Comment

• efgen
      Webinar Coordinator
      • Dec 2005

Genographic only uses 12 markers, HVR1 and backbone haplogroups for its study, so it doesn't matter what else you've tested.

Contrary to Darroll's statement, you cannot transfer your results "as many times as you wish". You transfer your Y-DNA and mtDNA once, and you'll be assigned a Genographic Project ID so you can access your personal Genographic Project results page at any time. One thing I don't know is whether you'll be given a single Genographic Project ID to access both your Y-DNA and mtDNA, or whether you'll be given a separate ID for each.

Elise

Comment

• GhostX
        • Jan 2008

Thanks Elise, that is very helpful info!

Comment

• R2-D2
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2006

Originally posted by efgen
          Genographic only uses 12 markers, HVR1 and backbone haplogroups for its study, so it doesn't matter what else you've tested.

Contrary to Darroll's statement, you cannot transfer your results "as many times as you wish". You transfer your Y-DNA and mtDNA once, and you'll be assigned a Genographic Project ID so you can access your personal Genographic Project results page at any time. One thing I don't know is whether you'll be given a single Genographic Project ID to access both your Y-DNA and mtDNA, or whether you'll be given a separate ID for each.

Elise
          You get a separate code for each. I started out with GP and then transferred to FTDNA. When I had my mtDNA done I uploaded that to GP and received another code.

GP doesn't use all of the subclades, yet... I am R1b at GP, when I transferred to FTDNA they estimated me to be R1b1. I had FTDNA's Deep SNP test for R1b and they determined me to be R1b1c. Then I had some more SNPs tested with EthnoAncestry (EA) that are only available through them and they determined me to be R1b1c9. Later on this year FTDNA will start offering all but one of those SNPs that EA tests for (S68 has no equivalent yet).

Comment

• darroll
            • Jun 2006

Elise
            Whenever I get new test results back I have the option to send the information to NG. I have had all the tests possible, done. Still waiting for the HVR2 results. I will forward these to NG also. Don't know what happens to the data, someone takes it. You have to have separate passwords for
            the MTDNA and Y-DNA. d

Comment

• efgen
              Webinar Coordinator
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by darroll
              Whenever I get new test results back I have the option to send the information to NG. I have had all the tests possible, done. Still waiting for the HVR2 results. I will forward these to NG also. Don't know what happens to the data, someone takes it. You have to have separate passwords for
              the MTDNA and Y-DNA. d
              Darroll,

That's Ysearch and Mitosearch that you can upload all your results to. Not the Genographic Project.

Elise

Comment

• darroll
                • Jun 2006

Elise,
                I will give you the benefit of doubt on this one.
                Next month I will pay attention when I share the results with who/ever.
                I just don't like to share with folks that "sell" my/our DNA. Also some share their results ... but... make it so you can't contact them. One of these was a perfect match, I have no idea who they are?
                Thanks, dc

Comment

• GhostX
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by R2-D2
                  I am R1b at GP, when I transferred to FTDNA they estimated me to be R1b1. I had FTDNA's Deep SNP test for R1b and they determined me to be R1b1c. Then I had some more SNPs tested with EthnoAncestry (EA) that are only available through them and they determined me to be R1b1c9. Later on this year FTDNA will start offering all but one of those SNPs that EA tests for (S68 has no equivalent yet).
                  I was about to order a Y-DNA deep clade test (I'm currently R1b1c) from FTDNA, as they already have my DNA. Given what you just said about how FTDNA is going to be adding SNP's, should I go ahead and order the deep clade test now, or wait until later this year?

Comment

• darroll
                    • Jun 2006

Go for it.
                    FTDNA knows what they are doing. d

Comment

• MMaddi
                      yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
                      • Jul 2005

I was about to order a Y-DNA deep clade test (I'm currently R1b1c) from FTDNA, as they already have my DNA. Given what you just said about how FTDNA is going to be adding SNP's, should I go ahead and order the deep clade test now, or wait until later this year?
                      If I were you, I'd wait until later this year.

Once Dr. Michael Hammer's study on the new y chromosome haplogroup tree is published, very soon, FTDNA will recognize two of the most important R1b1c SNPs (S21/R1b1c9 and S28/R1b1c10) and start testing for them. Dr. Hammer is one of the world's leading population geneticists and runs the Univ. of Arizona lab which does most of FTDNA's testing.

It's estimated that 25% of R1b1c's will test S21+ and maybe another 10% will test S28+. That's a big chunk of R1b1c that FTDNA presently isn't able to confirm in the R1b deep clade test. In fact, given that about 50% of R1b1c's will test negative for all currently known downstream SNPs, including S21 and S28, those two SNPs together will account for 70% of positive deep clade results in R1b1c.

You can spend your money how you want to, but that's my advice to you.

Comment

• darroll
                        • Jun 2006

I’m under the impression that they are doing all the tests now.
                        Then will release the information as circumstances allow. This was why I had our HVR2 done in 2008.
                        I was also told that I do not have to be retested and reached the end of their ability to do anymore testing for the family as all tests were/are being performed. I hope the latest tests shed some light on Haplogroup H. I have no idea where my Mothers/Mother line came from. She had a slight red tint to her hair and was short. d

Comment

• GhostX
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MMaddi
                          If I were you, I'd wait until later this year.
                          Thanks MMaddi, that sounds like good advice. I contacted FTDNA today and was told the same thing... that they recommend that I hold off on ordering, so that there would be only one extraction necessary. They had no estimate as to when the additional SNPs will be available, but they said "soon."

Comment

• darroll
                            • Jun 2006

Darroll,

That's Ysearch and Mitosearch that you can upload all your results to. Not the Genographic Project.

Elise
                            Elise,
                            You are right. I can copy my information to Mitosearch only and not NG. This time I have declined to move my data to Mitosearch since I have a match at HVR2. This sure beats hundreds of near misses. Thanks, darroll

Comment

Working...
                            X