View Single Post
Old 7th December 2017, 01:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Disappointing Results

Completed my Y-DNA test quite a few years back and had no direct matches - Certainly nobody with the same surname.

I did however have a match at a GD of 2, and the Tip report was encouraging.

40% chance of common ancestor in 2 generations
60% chance in 3 generations
71% in 4 generations
82% in 5 generations
88% in 6 generations

So, we are very likely related I thought. I checked with the individual if he had any links to my family name or to London where my father is from and discovered amongst users from the entire globe, this man was born within 2 miles of my father, about 8 years later. His father and grandfather lived within the same small area of North London as my family going back several generations. But his Grandfather had moved into the area from the west country, so I could pretty much narrow down the window for any likely link between the families.

And yet, after a bit of effort, we have conducted a Family Finder test so narrow down the relationship and found there is no link at all.

I'm quite surprised. The Y-DNA is perhaps nowhere near the accuracy I was expecting. Looking back beyond three generations, it is unlikely the two families would have any common ancestor in any predictable time. Is this often the case for Y-DNA? This is just a total coincidence that we are a close match and the fact they lived locally is a coincidence too?