• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjanosi
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2016

Different Results for FF and Advanced Matching

Can someone explain to me why when I click on X-Match in Family Finder, it shows only 1 person, but when I go to Advanced Matching and select Family Finder, X-Match, and Show only people I match... it shows 12 pages at 25 results per page?
  • prairielad
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2011

For X match to show up on your match list, match must share autosomal DNA with you (have an autosomal minimum segment of 7cM/500SNP and a minimum total DNA of 20cM, or have 1 segment above 9cM)

Advanced matching (with X selected) shows you all X matches in Database. (FTDNA does not list matches that only match on X on ones main match list)
    Ones that are not on match list will have only last name listed and no contact info (can only contact ones on main matchlists due to privacy restrictions)

On advanced matching in the Family Finder column, "X" means no match on chromosomes 1 thru 22 (autosomal), "-" means Family Finder not taken.
    If person is on matchlist, Family Finder column will list Relationship Range.
    Last edited by prairielad; 30 March 2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• mjanosi
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      For X match to show up on your match list, match must share autosomal DNA with you (have an autosomal minimum segment of 7cM/500SNP and a minimum total DNA of 20cM, or have 1 segment above 9cM)
      Thanks, I didn't know that, but it doesn't answer my question, which I probably didn't phrase correctly, at least not clearly. Let me try it, again:

In Advanced Matching I selected 2 check-boxes and 1 radio-button and got 12 pages of results, which I assume means all the people listed matched me in both FF and X-Match.

The top of the list is Gabor, a known cousin (at least 5th, probably 4th cousin) who shares 47 cMs with the longest block being 21.

So, why does he not show up when I click X-Match in Family Finder, but Alisa does who shares 24cMs with the longest block being 8?

Comment

• prairielad
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2011

This is because it is showing all your family finder matches as well as your X matches

selecting Family finder and X does not filter just ones with X matching.

If you want just X matches, you have to unselect Family Finder.

Comment

• mjanosi
          FTDNA Customer
          • Sep 2016

That's strange, because if I choose:

[ x ] Family Finder
          [ x ] HVR1

Show only people I match in all selected tests
          (*) Yes ( ) No

It shows me only 2 matches, only the people that match me in both FF and HVR1.

Shouldn't it show pages of matches for that, too, then?

Comment

• prairielad
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2011

Missed part about "Show only people I match in all selected tests" in original post

I assume, selecting Family Finder and X with "Show only people I match in all selected tests" does not distinguish between X and family finder.

I assume this due to fact that FTDNA does not use X for matching, X match (any segment down to 1cM/500snp) is just shown if you match on the autosomal chromosomes.

Selecting just X lists full match list, even ones that do not match on X. All Names are greyed out with no contact info.

Might be a bug in their advanced X matching
            You can open a request and inquire
            With our premier suite of DNA tests and the world’s most comprehensive matching database...your DNA has met its match!

Edit
            Looks like only by clicking on X column of you main matchlist is currently the only way to identify all your X matches (or via chromosome browser, filter by X matches or download all matches to csv and sort by X)
            Last edited by prairielad; 31 March 2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• mjanosi
              FTDNA Customer
              • Sep 2016

OK, thanks, I submitted a support ticket.

Comment

Working...
              X