• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christopher
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2014

Please post your ftdna "My Origins" results for comparison:

Hi there,

I'm looking to find out what “family-tree-dna My Origins” ethnic percentages in total constitute peoples of ANY ancestry for comparison. (Although Greeks, Turks, Cypriots, Italians, Lebanese, Syrians, Iraqis, Palestinians would be preferred in this case).

FTdna uses far more snp markers within autosomal dna (whole genome sequencing) than any other company to date (more than 23andme), so all results should be very accurate (much more accurate than 23andme). Family tree dna uses 708,092 snp's in total, while 23andme uses 577,382 snp's in total.

Please state:
    1) What proportions make you up in entirety from a FAMILIAL perspective,
    2) All the genetic proportions that you get with FTdna “my origins” to tell of your ACTUAL ancestry:

Best wishes, Chris
  • Christopher
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2014

I'll start the thread off:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ll start the thread off,

1) I’m 1/8th Greek from Greece (islands of Lesvos and Limnos) and 7/8ths Greek Cypriot from Cyprus in entirety from a FAMILIAL perspective.

2) My FTdna “my origins” ACTUAL ancestry results are:
    68% Middle Eastern: (65% Anatolian and 3% North African)
    24% European: (24% Southern European)
    8% Jewish Diaspora: (8% Ashkenazi Jewish)

Best wishes, Chris

Comment

• CuriousAdoptee
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2014

I'm adopted and don't have info on my birthfather, but my birthmother is primarily German (Catholic) with some Irish.

MyOrgins shows:

100% European
      Western & Central Europe 56%
      Eastern Europe 23%
      British Isles 21%

My matches on Family Finder are nearly all Ashkenazi with a handful of people of Irish ancestry from Cork. I really don't know how accurate any of this is, since it's so strange that so many of my matches have 0% European ancestry and I have 100%.

Comment

• LadyAlaise
        FTDNA Customer
        • Apr 2014

I am Acadian French, Irish, English, Scottish, Native American (Likely Mi'Kmaq Nation) and a touch of Spanish and Basque via Paper trail going back into the 1600s/late 1500s.

I have:
        98% European
        -Within that tab;
        50% Western and Central European
        46% British Isles
        2% Finland and Northern Siberian
        -
        2% Central/South Asian DNA
        -within that tab;
        2% Central Asian DNA
        ------
        I do have documented Native American (from Canada) ancestry; these same ancestors have been proven via their all male and or all female descendants DNA results, to be First Nations (Native; Likely Mi'Kmaq), but they are from the 1600s, on my father's side.
        On my mother's; a 2nd Great Grandfather according to Oral family history (on several cousin Branches that come from him, mine included), claims that he was half French and Half Mi'Kmaq (a Native Tribe from Nova Scotia, Canada), and that he changed his name; (this is the one line in my ancestry where the Records are conflicting, and confusing, causing more questions than they answer, and I can't get any further with 100% confidence up the line; the rest of my ancestry I have back to 1600s and on a few, much further).
        I will admit if the Asian and Finland & Northern Siberian DNA results are not possibly Native; they definitely have me scratching my head lol.
        ---
        I am still waiting for the rest of my FF results to come in. Right now I can only view myOrigins results.
        Last edited by LadyAlaise; 24 May 2015, 12:06 AM. Reason: more info.

Comment

• Jan 2009

Population Clusters in myOrigins by Razib Khan

Comment

• Jan 2009

My Wife's results
            100% European
            100% Isles
            My results
            100% European
            98% Isles
            2% F and S

British Isles
            "The British Isles cluster includes all European Islands from the far north and down south to the Azores Islands off the coast of Spain, though it’s especially typical of Ireland. The continuous mixing of European populations means that this group is also present in lesser amounts on the mainland. Genetically close to the Western and Central Europe and Scandinavia clusters, British Isles has had an impact on the demography of the world because of the explosion of population in the Anglosphere over the past few centuries.

The farmers came to Britain late, but when they came they brought great change. The hunters were assimilated by the farmer. This admixture caused the British Isles cluster as we know it to become a hybrid of farmer and hunter. Perhaps due to its isolation and strategic placement, the major powers in the world and throughout history have wanted to rule the islands. From Caesar to the Irish king Niall of the Nine Hostages, we see the wide variety of genetic influence from the Celts, Picts, Vikings, Normans and French."

Finland and Northern Siberia
            The world is not such a wide place at the top and the bottom. The Finland and Northern Siberia cluster began around the arctic as hunter-gatherer peoples. They have carried their genes down to the modern era. The Finland and Northern Siberia cluster stretches from Lappland east to Greenland. Though genetically diverse, the root of many of these populations is a genetic signature found most often in Finnic peoples.

"These are the descendants of hunter-gatherers who withstood the push of the farmers. They adapted, and flourished, in a new age. Like the Bering Expansion, this cluster goes beyond conventional divisions, and has clear connections with both east and west. Even the New World is connected to Finland and Northern Siberia due to their shared kinship with ancient Siberia.

Humans pushed into the deep north only within the last 30,000 years, going where no Neanderthal had dared. With connections to populations in the south, the northerners maintained long term lateral connections and developed a coherence as the ice retreated. Finland and Northern Siberia has its roots with Saami hunters and fishers, as well as Uralic, Russian, Swedish, and even Scandinavian ancestries."

Comment

• robertalabama
              FTDNA Customer
              • Mar 2015

58% British Isles, 34% Scandinavian, 8% Southern Europe for me.

I'd guess if I add most of the Scandinavian to the British Isles column, it's probably pretty close.
              My ancestors came to the USA in 1800 and before, and mostly from the British Isles, though probably a good 8% western mainland Europe (German, German-Swiss, and French Huguenot). I certainly don't know of much Scandinavian.

Comment

• TheBlue6
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2015

23andme vs FTDNA on haplogroups?

I cccccvvccccccvvvv
                Last edited by TheBlue6; 7 June 2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• crossover
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2014

while i consider myorigins to be inaccurate,i'll share my mom's
                  results anyways:
                  51% european
                  22% new world
                  9% east asian
                  7% jewish diaspora
                  6% central asia
                  5% african

Comment

• Armando
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Christopher View Post
                    Hi there,

I'm looking to find out what “family-tree-dna My Origins” ethnic percentages in total constitute peoples of ANY ancestry for comparison. (Although Greeks, Turks, Cypriots, Italians, Lebanese, Syrians, Iraqis, Palestinians would be preferred in this case).

FTdna uses far more snp markers within autosomal dna (whole genome sequencing) than any other company to date (more than 23andme), so all results should be very accurate (much more accurate than 23andme). Family tree dna uses 708,092 snp's in total, while 23andme uses 577,382 snp's in total.

Please state:
                    1) What proportions make you up in entirety from a FAMILIAL perspective,
                    2) All the genetic proportions that you get with FTdna “my origins” to tell of your ACTUAL ancestry:

Best wishes, Chris
                    Christopher, the amount of SNPs isn't the only important part of calculating ancestry. The methodology seems to be the most important and the size and variation of the reference dataset seems to be the next most important. I say that because a person that has a parent with Greek ancestry from the Peloponnese region that gets results at 23andme that coincide more with the known ancestry than the FTDNA myOrigins results. It seems 23andme does a much better job with admixed people.

FTDNA myOrigins
                    European 73%
                    Scandinavia 28%
                    Southern Europe 24%
                    British Isles 14%
                    Eastern Europe 7%

Middle Eastern 26%
                    Asia Minor 26%

The Scandinavian and Eastern Europe shouldn't be there.

23andme
                    99.9% European

Northern European (total 46.9%)
                    22.5% British & Irish
                    6% French & German
                    18.4% Broadly Northern European

Southern European (total 46.5%)
                    27.5% Balkan (This includes Greeks)
                    8% Italian (Many Greeks from the islands get this)
                    11% Broadly Southern European

6.4% Broadly European

<0.1% Native American (this shouldn't be there)

0.1% Unassigned

Comment

• Armando
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by crossover View Post
                      while i consider myorigins to be inaccurate,i'll share my mom's
                      results anyways:
                      51% european
                      22% new world
                      9% east asian
                      7% jewish diaspora
                      6% central asia
                      5% african
                      For a comparison can you post your mother's results from Ancestry?

Comment

• crossover
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                        For a comparison can you post your mother's results from Ancestry?
                        yes here's her results(note the results in that last post were formated oddly due to the forum glitch that made the text read right to left). Also my mom's sis and dad have been tested thrugh ancestry as well but i haven't transfered their results to here
                        52% europe
                        33% america
                        8% west asia
                        5% african
                        2% east asian

armondo, are you on nuestros ranchos also? your name seems familiar.
                        Last edited by crossover; 25 June 2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• dna
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Aug 2014

[----] (note the results in that last post were formatted oddly due to the forum glitch that made the text read right to left) [----]
                          They are just fine. Take a look yourself

Comment

• crossover
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by dna View Post
                            They are just fine. Take a look yourself
                            what a relief, i was afraid they would be unreadable since i had a hard time reading it before the glitch got fixed

Comment

• dna
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Aug 2014

what a relief, i was afraid they would be unreadable since i had a hard time reading it before the glitch got fixed
                              A change of the language default can easily happen to anyone who scrolls using tab and arrow keys. Try also Spanish and German versions, so if that happens to you again you can survive

Comment

Working...
                              X