View Single Post
Old 8th January 2018, 08:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
Actually all people that get a BigY test can help create new branches that were previously unknown. That is how four SNPs previously thought to be phylogenetically equivalent to L21 were proven to be upstream of L21. http://ytree.net/
So we will see new branches popping up next to ours, or even below our own branch, but without names and locations associated to these branches, when the people are not matching.

In the example I mentioned above, a BigY kit was in a new branch below mine, but still too old for us to match with the new 30SNP stringency. It is lucky that another BigY kit matched this person so they could form a new branch, otherwise, if that person didn't match me with the new stringency, he would not have matched anybody else and stayed invisible for everybody, including the groups.
But that was 2 years ago and thankfully, we matched, and I am the one who take credit for contacting the person and asking him to join the relevant group.

So that now I am surrounded by very precious little flags, thanks to the Groups and the Big Tree, but none of them I will match now (I have 25 unnamed variants) and at least one would have been absent in the new system.

That raise the question of how many people take a BigY but don't join their Y-haplogroup group automatically. Probably a minority, but still, you don't want to loose anybody such is precious any information.

So now the new stringency is truly ~ 15 new unnamed SNPs, since we have to consider the other dude's unnamed SNPs.
That's what ? a 1500 to 2000 years old ancestor. The chance that one male descendant from this ancestor takes a BigY, are not great outside of the British isles and colonies.