X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981
    • Apr 2006

I know I have probably bored everyone to tears with my updates, but here is one more: Mr. Stephens got the kit, did the test, and mailed it back to FTDNA today. Now we wait.

Comment

• Stevo
      R1b-FGC36981
      • Apr 2006

Interestingly, I picked up an exact 12-marker match yesterday with a man with my surname. I still get excited about exact 12-marker matches when the surname is the same as mine. I emailed the woman in charge of the man's kit. Hopefully, she'll respond, but she hasn't yet, nor has she joined the man's kit to the Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA Project.

I don't know anything about this match yet except his name.

Comment

• Stevo
        R1b-FGC36981
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
        Interestingly, I picked up an exact 12-marker match yesterday with a man with my surname. I still get excited about exact 12-marker matches when the surname is the same as mine. I emailed the woman in charge of the man's kit. Hopefully, she'll respond, but she hasn't yet, nor has she joined the man's kit to the Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA Project.

Hey! I just heard from the woman who manages my new match's kit. He has a 67-marker test on order. Those 12 markers are just the first installment. I hope the match holds up.

She does not know much about his ancestry yet, but she is in touch with someone who does and will fill me in when she gets more information.

Fun stuff!

Comment

• Stevo
          R1b-FGC36981
          • Apr 2006

I know I have probably bored everyone to tears with my updates, but here is one more: Mr. Stephens got the kit, did the test, and mailed it back to FTDNA today. Now we wait.
          FTDNA got the kit yesterday. Now we wait.

Comment

• N21163
            FTDNA Customer
            • Oct 2011

FTDNA got the kit yesterday. Now we wait.
            Glad to hear things are moving along for ya Stevo. Hope you get the answers you're after!

Cheers

Arran

Comment

• Stevo
              R1b-FGC36981
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by N21163 View Post
              Glad to hear things are moving along for ya Stevo. Hope you get the answers you're after!

Cheers

Arran
              Thanks! I just want the truth, but I must admit I'm hoping he and I match. It sure would be nice.

Comment

• Stevo
                R1b-FGC36981
                • Apr 2006

That exact 12-marker match just turned into a 63/67 match yesterday. It really should be 64/67, since our mismatch at CDY, where he has 38-40 and I have 38-38, apparently involves a RecLoH (my 38-38), which would have happened in one step, not two. We also differ at 442, where he has 13 and I have 12; and at 557, where he has 16 and I have 17.

Anyway, what is really interesting about this match is that his mdka was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in 1802. That is also where the mdka of one of my closest 111-marker Stevens matches (107/111) was born in 1787. It is also where several of the sons of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens settled in the 1700s.

Hope springs eternal!

Comment

• Stevo
                  R1b-FGC36981
                  • Apr 2006

That exact 12-marker match just turned into a 63/67 match yesterday. It really should be 64/67, since our mismatch at CDY, where he has 38-40 and I have 38-38, apparently involves a RecLoH (my 38-38), which would have happened in one step, not two. We also differ at 442, where he has 13 and I have 12; and at 557, where he has 16 and I have 17.

Anyway, what is really interesting about this match is that his mdka was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in 1802. That is also where the mdka of one of my closest 111-marker Stevens matches (107/111) was born in 1787. It is also where several of the sons of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens settled in the 1700s.

Hope springs eternal!
                  The match above went to 106/111, which makes him my second closest match at 111 markers, after two matches who tie at being the closest: 107/111.

Comment

• GigiT123
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jul 2016

Auguston Stevens in Monroe La area

Hi Stevo

I haven't done any DNA on my Stevens/Stephens line but I have been following along on your post.

I believe your Auguston Stevens is Augustus P Stevens who was a son of James A Stephens who started the first newspaper in Yazoo County, MS.
                    If you check the genweb site it will show a listing of your Stevens under the Yazoo, MS information along with a Bible listing.

I know they came in through the gulf area in New Orleans stayed there a while and moved into the area that was ceded by the Choctaw Indians in the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. This area opened for settlement I believe around 1838.

Since James A Stevens was one of the pioneers of Yazoo County, Mississippi there should be plenty of information about him and his family available.

I have a Augustus P Stevens who was the father of my Mother's grandmother, Lula Corrine Stevens. He was born in Mississippi about 1843 or so. Right around the time your Auguston Stevens shows up. I believe that the Auguston name is a typo.

There is an Augustine Stevens who shows in records as being in New Orleans. Since I know my Augustus P wasn't there it has to your family and maybe the father of James A Stevens.

Anyway, I hope this helps you on your line some. I am lucky since our line is all in Bibles on almost all of my branches and I have just dug up records to prove what those show.

Just in case you might run across some information for me I am looking for Elisha Stevens who shows as the father of my Augustus P. I don't have records of him before he shows in Mississippi.

Also, since I am new to this group I hope this was the right place to post this.

One last thing, the town your Auguston was in was a big area for Turpentine harvesting and for saw mills I believe. I had a Aunt of my Grandmother who moved there and settled with her family.

[email protected]

Comment

• Stevo
                      R1b-FGC36981
                      • Apr 2006

Thanks for the information, but it is incorrect for my ancestor. I know he was born in Wheeling, West Virginia on 05 February 1804 and that he was in Beaver County, Pennsylvania for the 1830 census, in Little Beaver Township, right next to his father-in-law, Matthew Armstrong. My 2x great grandfather was born in Beaver County in 1835. He had some siblings born in Pennsylvania and some in Ohio. My 3x great grandfather Auguston moved his family to Bastrop, Louisiana in about 1845, where he opened the first store in that town. Unfortunately, he died of yellow fever in 1849. I visited his grave in the Old Bastrop Cemetery back in 1989 and photographed his tombstone, which has the name Auguston Stevens on it, spelled just that way.

My 2x great grandfather moved his family to Pike County, Mississippi after the Civil War, sometime before 1870.

Comment

• GigiT123
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jul 2016

Connecticut Stevens/Stephens

Has anyone connected to a Connecticut Stephens family? I am searching for Elisha born about 1805 there.
                        He moved to Marshall County, Mississippi and then on into the Florida Parishes area of Louisiana.
                        Someone sent me information that he moved further going to Texas where he died but I couldn't locate records for that.

Stevo I checked Wheeling, Virginia and found an Elisha there. I got the Connecticut birthplace off of the 1850 Mississippi Census so there could be a mistake there.

All I was saying is that Auguston is a strange name as is Augustus when it comes to Stevens/Stephens families and I felt like that Auguston might connect to the ones in Yazoo County and that it wouldn't hurt to take a look at James A since he doesn't tie into mine that I could find.

Happy hunting!

Comment

• Stevo
                          R1b-FGC36981
                          • Apr 2006

Not the right people to be my family. Sorry.

Comment

• Stevo
                            R1b-FGC36981
                            • Apr 2006

There has actually been some progress on my y-dna line since I originally began posting in this thread. One of my close Stevens matches hired a crackerjack genealogist to research the family, and she turned up some very interesting information based on the fact that a number of my closest 111-marker matches trace their mdkas to Fayette County, Pennsylvania.

It looks like our group came up from Ellicott's Mills, Maryland (now Ellicott City) and were big time Methodists, several of them even serving as Methodist preachers.

More later.

Comment

• Stevo
                              R1b-FGC36981
                              • Apr 2006

Quite a lot has changed since I last visited FTDNA's forum and posted in this thread, thanks to the Big Y, supplemented by traditional paper trail genealogy.

Thus far, the Big Y has uncovered the SNP FGC36974, which is shared by all of the Stephens/Stevens matches in my group. Our most recent common y-dna ancestor appears to have been born about 1650 AD. Under FGC36974, two of us (myself and one other Big Y-tested Stevens) share the terminal SNP FGC36982. Two other Big Y-tested Stevenses share the terminal SNP PF5064 under FGC36974, and they are FGC36982-.

All of these SNPs are under Y8426 (FGC5572), which is under DF41/CTS2501.

Comment

• Stevo
                                R1b-FGC36981
                                • Apr 2006

Hey! Lots of new developments since 2017! Whoa! An incredible miracle happened in 2019 that broke down a brick wall and got me back to my 5th great-grandparents. More later.

Comment

Working...
                                X