• Aug 2004

Whats your longford connection

tell us who you are and all about your lines
  • Solothurn
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2012

Hi

We have Stevenson from Longford:

This is on my maternal side and mum has no matches from Longford yet! We are hoping this changes soon

Comment

• Solothurn
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2012

Please ignore my previous post.

A recent update has found my Stevenson is not from Longford

Can an admin remove my last post please?

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
      Hi

We have Stevenson from Longford:

This is on my maternal side and mum has no matches from Longford yet! We are hoping this changes soon

Comment

• Littlest bit
        mtDNA: J1c3i
        • Feb 2012

When I sent away for a history of my husband's surname, Frawley, it said it was a variant of Farrell and descended from the O'Fearghails of Longford:

But I knew that his eldest descendant was born in Rathkeale, Limerick Ireland in 1821 and that they were known to have been there a long time. I tested the Y out to 67 markers and he tested positive for R-L226 Irish III which is most notably linked to the Dál gCais clan/tribe located mainly in Counties Clare, Tipperary, Limerick, and Cork. When I look at the map of Irish III, I see Longford seems to have a presence of Irish III males:

So, I'm curious to know if there was a known migration of Farrell's South or if this is an ancient NPE? I guess, what I'm most curious about is: What is the typical Y signature of males who's surname descends from the O'Fearghails of Longford? Thanks!

Comment

• econnore
          mtDNA: H1ak
          • Aug 2010

My Kennedy line is from Longford.

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
            mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person
            • Apr 2006

I hope that someone is helping Jim Denning with Longford. He has been ill. I am Co Admin for Duggan with him.

Comment

• sbcwicklow
              FTDNA Customer
              • Sep 2013

Owens, Cox, Sheridan, Devine

Hi,
              My gg grandfather was John Owens born circa 1828 in Legan, County Longford. He was the son of Edward Owens and Bridget Devine…
              John Owens married Ann Cox born circa 1830 in Newtownforbes, Longford. She was the daughter of Patrick Cox and Mary Sheridan. Both John Owens and Ann Cox ended up in Brockton, Massachusetts where they raise a family.

Sara Carroll
              Brockton, MA

Comment

• rdegnen
                FTDNA Customer
                • May 2008

Longford Ireland

My maternal gg grandmother, Elizabeth M McGrath, was born in Longford, Ireland in 1847. Her father was Michael McGrath, her mother was Margaret Berry/Barry. Elizabeth M McGrath migrated to the U.S. about 1852 as an orphan. She married, Charles James Smith, about 1860, in New York. Yes, she was only 13 and he was only 19.

Comment

• Bill Masterson
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jul 2014

Mastersons from Leggagh, Co. Longford

My father, Laurence Masterson (b. 1909, Leggagh, Moyne, Co. Longford; d. September 24, 1954, Chicago, USA ) arrived in the United States September 15, 1930. He was the son of Thomas (b. 1875. Moyne-area, Co. Longford) and Anne Corcoran (b. 1866, Crott, Moyne, Co. Longford). My father had three brothers and one sister. Brothers Peter and Patrick also left Ireland for the United States. His brother Thomas and sister Catherine, and his Mother, Anne, stayed behind. His father Thomas also lived in the USA before returning to Ireland where he died and is buried in Moyne RC cemetery. I've participated in DNA testing 6 times (ftDNA - 2 times; National Geographic - 2 times; 23andme - 1; Ancestry - 1). I have two first cousins living in the Ballinamuck, Co. Longford area. My ancestry search has come to a dead-end at Thomas Masterson and Anne Corcoran; little has been revealed regarding their parents. I travel to Ireland and Longford every two years.

Comment

• Genealogy1st
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Nov 2014

longford

I have O'Brien, Higgins and Donohoe in Co. Longford

Comment

• maplegirl
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Oct 2012

I have a Mary Farrell, b ca 1791 in Co. Longford. She married Edward Maher of Tipperary. They were in Valcartier, Quebec, Cda by 1851.

Comment

• jillybean78
                        JCooper
                        • Aug 2014

McNaboe and Doyle

My direct maternal 3rd great-grandmother, Catherine Doyle, and my 3rd great-grandfather, Peter McNaboe (sometimes recorded due to translation as Victory) were both from Longford. Catherine Doyle McNaboe born 1816 and died on 11th May 1891, aged 75 years. Peter McNaboe born 1804 and died at Drumury, 22nd December 1889, Aged 85 years. They both were from Drumury, but buried in Moyne Cemetery, Dromard RC Parish, County Longford.

Peter and Catherine McNaboe had 10 children, including my second-great grandmother, Margaret McNaboe Devlin (daughter of Peter and Catherine) was born sometime between 1857-1860 in Moyne, County Longford, Ireland. She immigrated to the United States in 1878. I believe that the only child who stayed in Longford were their sons Peter b1841/1843 and Patrick b1847.

I've tried very hard to trace my Longford roots, but this is as far as I've been able to go thus far. I'm waiting on my mtDNA results, which I'm hoping might help.

Comment

• hypatia
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Apr 2018

It looks like my maternal great grandfather, Hugh Coyle, is from Longford. He is my mom's paternal grandfather. Looking forward to any DNA connections, both myself and my mom have tested and awaiting results. Hopefully my uncle will test as well. It's been difficult to research my mother's father's line because we were confused by his father's second marriage not matching the mother listed on my grandfather's wedding certificate. Still trying to work out where their biological mother is from. She is clearly Irish or Irish parents, but not sure from where. Hugh Coyle's parents are Hugh Coyle from Longford and Bridget Riley or Reilly. He was remarried to Annie Finley, who is also from Longford, and she raised his children from his first marriage to Bridget. Clearly something happened, but all those who knew are all passed on. My grandfather Hugh died when my mother was very young, so I only really know my Irish relatives through my grandmother's Tuam and Galway relatives, who know nothing about the Coyle side. My grandfather has been a mystery we are only just starting to unravel. My mom has more photos now after my other uncle passed on, but we don't know who all the people are.

Comment

• hypatia
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Apr 2018

Annie Finley and Hugh Coyle were married in 1907, after all his children were born in New York City. We know this is correct because my mother knew the two brothers of my grandfather, and the children are an exact match on the census, and the marriage certificate listed Hugh as widowed. Hugh Coyle was born in 1868 to John Coyle and Mary McEnerny, in Springtown, Granard, Longford, Ireland.
                            Last edited by hypatia; 11 April 2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• MaureenGraves
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • May 2018

Tiernan and Arthur

Patrick Tiernan and Catherine Arthur married in Longford Templemichael in 1827. They emigrated to Albany NY USA. He died during the US Civil War, and his widow filed for a pension. She had to provide a marriage certificate, which is why I know when and where they were married. Their first children were born in Longford, and their later children were born in Albany NY.

I do not know the parents of Patrick Tiernan or Catherine Arthur.

Comment

Working...
                              X