Poll question for those who have seen this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clintonslayton76
    I-M253 (I-FT362069)
    • Jun 2014

Poll question for those who have seen this...

If you have not, no point in taking up space with replies.

When viewing DNA Results from GAP view, I occasionally lose members from some views. Lately, I have 5 members not showing in Classic, but okay in Colorized. Win 10 1709 with 64-bit Google Chrome and it also exhibits this with IE 11. (I do not use Edge).

This has happened in the past with one particular kit, just happened to be an Ancestry xfer "B" kit. This was on a Win 7 Pro 64-bit with Google Chrome. It has been over a year since seeing this behavior.

This does not seem to happen as a non-GAP viewer.

Just curious if this is something that is old hat and fixes itself. I am almost always viewing these as GAP, and Win 10 1709 has been exhibiting some weird blackouts while in any browser.
    Last edited by clintonslayton76; 16 February 2018, 11:25 AM. Reason: additional details
  • The_Contemplator
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2015

I have not seen this. What I have seen at times is that the order may change for some kits with perfectly matching STR results. I see the colorized chart GAP page so often that I know what order specific kits should be at from all the previous times I saw them. So are you sure they were missing and not just rearranged? Does refreshing the page help? When you say blackouts, do you mean certain sections of a web browser are black after switching around? I have noticed this recently as well. I don't use Edge either.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
      I-M253 (I-FT362069)
      • Jun 2014

There are 9 rows instead of 13, and refresh does not change. I have polled my research community on SPOKT and they do not report this problem, so I calculate it has to do with the GAP view. If I login as member kit, all the results look fine.

I have complained in the past about not being able to arrange results beyond subgrouping. I have to send a spreadsheet to my members because I see no way to group same-intermediate-ancestor men together in my Y Project. If there is a trick you know of, please share.

My subgroup with the missing men (in GAP view) all go back (some provably by docs, some not except by DNA) to three men who might be siblings or first cousins, but our values are very high matches with one another. These three men are found in 1771 on nearly adjacent lands in NC, but it looks like all of us (15) have the same great great grandfather (only two of us do). But most of us are separated by 6-8 generations of common paternal. We are a very "tight" group.

By blackouts, I mean a total Black Screen where I can sometimes hit the power button and recover the screen to restart, sometimes not. Before ver 1709, I got frequent "Out of Memory" warning pop-ups from the system, and this meant an annoying restart. Now it just goes black, no warning.
      Last edited by clintonslayton76; 17 February 2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• The_Contemplator
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
        There are 9 rows instead of 13, and refresh does not change. I have polled my research community on SPOKT and they do not report this problem, so I calculate it has to do with the GAP view. If I login as member kit, all the results look fine.
        If you view the results as a non-member (logged out), do you still see the same 9?

I see no way to group same-intermediate-ancestor men together in my Y Project. If there is a trick you know of, please share.
        None. Another option could me making a sort of tree or flow chart showing how the kits in the project are connected. Not the same thing, but visually may be of interest to your project members.

By blackouts, I mean a total Black Screen where I can sometimes hit the power button and recover the screen to restart, sometimes not. Before ver 1709, I got frequent "Out of Memory" warning pop-ups from the system, and this meant an annoying restart. Now it just goes black, no warning.
        Sounds like an issue specific to your system. Some of your programs (like the web browser) could be using too much memory over time. It would be wise to close them down from time to time. If you use the key combo Ctrl-Alt-Del and then open Task Manager. That will give you an idea of what programs you have running that are hogging a lot of memory. The top section will show you apps you have running and after that background processes that are running as the name states, in the background. You can force some programs to end by right clicking and End Task. Just don't do that to just any of the background task unless you know what it does. Useful if say your web browser stopped responding and you can't close it.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
          I-M253 (I-FT362069)
          • Jun 2014

Thanks for the follow-up, I was a PC Support tech for 23 years and well familiar with memory issues.

All views not as Group Admin look okay to me and as reported by members of the project.

This will undoubtedly fix itself, possibly with some upgrade from MS or Google, and there are plenty of work-arounds, I just do not want to bother FTDNA with a "local" issue.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
            I-M253 (I-FT362069)
            • Jun 2014

Problem continues with GAP view and Google Chrome and IE 11

Doing routine checks of my Oldest Paternal Ancestor values, I am seeing
            as GAP:
            14 men in one subgrouping, but not as GAP:
            16 men

as GAP:
            9 men in one subgrouping, but not as GAP:
            14 men

This is quite maddening as several of these are in my management, privacy settings are obviously not blocking. and these show in GAP Member Information but not on my grid when I access DNA Results Classic from Genetic Reports item.

This occurs on three PCs, two with Win 7 Pro and one with Win 10 Pro, so this is not specific to a computer system.

Help! The public is getting a more full view than the administrator. I have reported to FTDNA.
            Last edited by clintonslayton76; 28 February 2018, 12:34 AM. Reason: continued testing, continued testing

Comment

• clintonslayton76
              I-M253 (I-FT362069)
              • Jun 2014

More unexplained inconsistencies

I am admin of two different yDNA surname projects, one has over 40 results, and one has only a dozen or so.

The loss of members displayed in my larger project to me as a GAP admin is already noted above.

In GAP view:
              The smaller project has matching settings for Classic and Colorized views as the larger one. On the smaller project, the subgroupings have sequentional numbers for each group that I did not enter in my subgrouping scheme, in other words, they appear to be supplied outside my control.

In GAP view:
              The larger project does not have these sequential numbers.

The numbers are not important to me, since I could set these in EDIT mode myself. But I am very troubled by inconsistency where I cannot account for it as the admin, and seem to have no control over the appearance of my own projects.

I am getting two presentations from FTDNA with no settings on my part to account for this. I have not yet rec'd any response from FTDNA so far about the missing results in GAP view.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
                I-M253 (I-FT362069)
                • Jun 2014

Out standing in my field? In FTDNA hands now

I received no indication that this is seen by anyone else, so I sum up the problem: FTDNA set me up with a block of 10 kit numbers for Ancestry xfers, since Ancestry abandoned yDNA and many of the men were quite upset that the Ancestry Project was gone. I committed to xferring these to FTDNA, as most of these men were not interested in paying out any more money for tests. I used nine of the kits for transfers.

Now I find that viewing DNA Results as GAP admin, eight of the kits do not appear in my project grid. Only one does. This is not the binary way: if one appears, so should the others. All individual kits are set to "Share Oldest Ancestor, etc" with other projects, and visibility is set to "Anyone." It takes considerable $#@!ing-around to make software be inconsistent, I know because I used to be a programmer.

This means that as admin, I can see them in Member Information, but cannot "impersonate" them (because I cannot see them) from the Project Grid. However, these kits do appear to any non-logged in member of the public. Equally, everyone shows when a kit member checks the Project from their page.

I have sent screen shots to FTDNA Help, so I urge any of you to check your projects for missing results as GAP admin, this used to happen with ONE of these nine xfers on a regular basis. It might not be missed on a huge project, but eight results for a 50 member project is noticeable to a GAP admin.
                Last edited by clintonslayton76; 21 March 2018, 05:13 PM. Reason: bolding

Comment

• rivergirl
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jul 2006

I did have a problem with a relative with results I transferred from SMGF. He disappeared from all the projects I had placed him in. I sent a request to FTDNA and it was eventually sorted out and he shows up again.
                  No explanation as to why.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
                    I-M253 (I-FT362069)
                    • Jun 2014

Update

FTDNA acknowledges this as a BUG.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
                      I-M253 (I-FT362069)
                      • Jun 2014

Still failing

The original complaint, that as GAP I am missing results in DNA Results CLASSIC, was acknowledged as a BUG by FTDNA, but is still not fixed.

The GDPR fiasco that requires members to understand access settings on two different folder heading, Privacy & Sharing, and Project Preferences, is presumably the project that FTDNA has been using cycles to implement by May 25. Now that this ridiculous pandering to amorphous Euro pressure has made many admins quit altogether, it remains to be seen if fundamental problems for GAP admins will have any priority at all.

Comment

• TwiddlingThumbs
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jan 2016

FTDNA clearly saw/sees GDPR as a potentially existential threat (like the Y2K issue! lol); GAP bugs, not so much. With limited resources, not clear when or if GAP bugs get fixed.

Comment

• clintonslayton76
                          I-M253 (I-FT362069)
                          • Jun 2014

Update: two years from original posting, both me and my fellow administrator are "losing" members in Colorized that show in Classic, the opposite of my original problem. This fails in both Chrome and Firefox for me, and Chrome for my other administrator. The number of members simply do not match from one view to the other.

Comment

Working...
                          X