Cuckolded Fathers Rare in Human Populations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGarrison
    H4a1a4a | R1-BY3322
    • Dec 2013

Trends Ecol Evol. 2016 May;31(5):327-9. doi: 10.1016/j.tree.2016.03.004. Epub 2016 Apr 11.
    Larmuseau MH1, Matthijs K2, Wenseleers T3.
    not open access
    Abstract
    Contemporary data of extra-pair paternity (EPP) in human populations may be biased by the use of modern contraceptives. Studies have now estimated historical EPP rates in several human populations. The observed low EPP rates challenge the idea that women routinely 'shop around' for good genes by engaging in extra-pair copulations.
  • Dabney Carr
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2016

I'll agree with that. Cuckoldry is far more widespread in recent times due to contraception giving women the ability to sleep around from a relatively early age without the consequences of getting pregnant. Then later if they get married, they don't have the same attachment and fidelity to their husbands when compared to women in the past who were more likely to be virgin brides and tended to be faithful to their husbands.

Comment

• dna
      FTDNA Customer
      • Aug 2014

A PDF of the published version is (now) available for free

Mr W

P.S.
      For every infidel woman, an infidel male is required...

Comment

• Frederator
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jul 2010

The term 'cuckold' may be rather over-used to describe a wide variety of normal situations that have nothing at all to do with marital infidelity, like the assumption of a step-father's surname or an informal adoption.

Comment

• Biblioteque
          FTDNA Customer - mtDNA - U3a1b
          • Feb 2013

And, in some cases, coercive persuasion.........
          Last edited by Biblioteque; 3 August 2017, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• ltd-jean-pull
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Dabney Carr View Post
            I'll agree with that. Cuckoldry is far more widespread in recent times due to contraception giving women the ability to sleep around from a relatively early age without the consequences of getting pregnant. Then later if they get married, they don't have the same attachment and fidelity to their husbands when compared to women in the past who were more likely to be virgin brides and tended to be faithful to their husbands.
            I'm intrigued. What is your definition of "sleeping around"?

Were the men also "sleeping around" or were boys just being boys?

Apparently these days married couples don't only have sex for procreation and may use contraception!

Wouldn't the availability of contraception to married women reduce the likelihood of a pregnancy result from having sex with someone who isn't your recognised partner?

Comment

• Amerijoe
              FTDNA Customer
              • Nov 2015

What about the perspective viewpoint of the offspring who is verbally and physically reminded of such a union. How rare do you think that is? A cockold husband can be a dangerous menace to the overall viability of such a union to all those involved. To anyone who has experienced such a situation may serenity comfort you always.

Comment

• Slithy Tove
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2016

Yet again, scientific endeavour exploited my someone trying to present a view not supported by the data...

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2006

Then there is the situation where a guy has been coerced into believing that a baby was his and so he married said devious woman. I'm wondering if that could be a possible scenario with my (doubtful?) maternal grandfather. Quite probably not, but that could explain where my mysterious Italian (7%) came from.

Comment

• loisrp
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                    Then there is the situation where a guy has been coerced into believing that a baby was his and so he married said devious woman. I'm wondering if that could be a possible scenario with my (doubtful?) maternal grandfather. Quite probably not, but that could explain where my mysterious Italian (7%) came from.
                    Do you have any 2nd or 3rd cousins that are unexplained to lead you to this possible conclusion?

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by loisrp View Post
                      Do you have any 2nd or 3rd cousins that are unexplained to lead you to this possible conclusion?
                      I was just speculating. My mother was an only child. I mean, I come from a dysfunctional family where we all hated one another. Every time I asked my mother about our family tree she was cross and didn't answer. As for 2nd or 3rd cousins, there is one female line that seems to be related. That line married into Italian(s), at least at one point. Now that side were all Catholics. For some odd reason, my grandmother turned her husband into a Protestant. And that caused him to be treated cooly by his relatives. So I didn't meet them except only in passing. Lots of other things too...

Comment

• sspeters41
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Mar 2012

NPE's

Out of wedlock births were a lot more common than most of you see to want to believe. Colonial days were no different. The reason I use Colonial is because I have not been able to go much beyond Colonial. You ain't who you think you are!! I think an unbroken line would be the rare exception that the rule, but then what do I know!!

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Feb 2006

In my case (above), I found a marriage record online that shows my maternal grandparents married when she was 6 months pregnant. I assume hat record is correct, as seen at Ancestry. Anyway, it took place down in Rockford, Illinois. I mean they lived in Madison, Wisconsin. So it was probably a civil marriage. And it obviously was not in the Catholic church. So the Catholic relatives on his side would have regarded my mother as a bastard, I suppose. My family tree, based mostly on the Ancestry database, is quite full except for my maternal grandfather's branch. Also lacking proof is my direct maternal line prior to 1800 in early USA/colonies.

Comment

• spruithean
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sspeters41 View Post
                            Out of wedlock births were a lot more common than most of you see to want to believe. Colonial days were no different. The reason I use Colonial is because I have not been able to go much beyond Colonial. You ain't who you think you are!! I think an unbroken line would be the rare exception that the rule, but then what do I know!!
                            I think it depends on how far back we're going here. If we're going to the most distant ancestor you can confirm realistically by paper trail then an unbroken line isn't all that surprising and neither is a broken line. There are undoubtedly NPEs for many people with confirmed paper trails beyond where their paper trail ends.

There are a number of factors that can result in the perception of there being an NPE. From there actually being an NPE to the family tree not being properly researched.

Comment

• Wheal
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Apr 2017

You have to remember that women were regarded as property in many cultures, so women were shared with no "assigned" mate. Women would also be considered as bounty from raids and kept as slaves. 'She' could have already been impregnated by a mate from her other clan and would bring that DNA into her new clan.

In addition, women were FREQUENTLY raped and impregnated by not only unrelated men, but by their family members.

Comment

Working...
                              X