• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Standisher
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2015

Feeling stupid

I'm predicted M269 as many people are in Europe. I ordered R1b - M343&M269v2 Backbone SNP Pack. Did I buy the right pack?

The results are very late as everything with FTDNA seems to be and I wait in anxiety for the results.

In the meantime, can I from the STR results predict the SNP in any way?
  • RebeccaR
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2017

. Following, because I have the same question too.

Comment

• spruithean
      FTDNA Customer
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Standisher View Post
      I'm predicted M269 as many people are in Europe. I ordered R1b - M343&M269v2 Backbone SNP Pack. Did I buy the right pack?

The results are very late as everything with FTDNA seems to be and I wait in anxiety for the results.

In the meantime, can I from the STR results predict the SNP in any way?
      While I can't comment on the SNP pack, as I'm not very familiar with haplogroup R and all its subgroupings, I can comment on the fact that FTDNA is dealing with a rather large upgrade to their Big Y files and this has slowed a number of things down.

Yes, you could predict to a degree using these webpages http://www.nevgen.org or http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/haplotest.htm

Keep in mind these websites won't necessarily be accurate for your specific Y-DNA. The SNP pack will be more accurate and a Big Y test would be even more precise.

Comment

• Parameswara
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2014

I think you should ask your project admin because they have knowledge about your subclade.

Comment

• JDP1144
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2013

That is the correct starter SNP pack for R-M269.

As for asking in the R1B project, forget it unless you have at least 67 STR markers and Big Y or Geno2.

Comment

• The_Contemplator
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2015

Do your STR matches appear to be from the same specific haplogroup? For example if you are predicted R-M269 and you notice many matches are R-DF27, then you could be R-DF27 as well. This is not always correct if you are only looking at matches from lower STR levels like say Y25.

Comment

Working...
            X