• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • winner
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2014

Noise

Hi guys!

I would like know if "noise" might be real ancestry. Because, I've got 8% of "noise" for 5 different populations together.

Thanks in advance.

Natan
  • NCroots
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by winner View Post
    I would like know if "noise" might be real ancestry. Because, I've got 8% of "noise" for 5 different populations together.
    It could be. I show .1% Subsaharan African (broken down as <.1% West African, <.1% East African, and <.1% Broadly Subsaharan African) with 23andMe. Two places on two different chromosomes are identified as Subsaharan African; when I do the chromosome painting on GEDmatch, those segments on those two chromosomes consistently show up as African. I've also been able to triangulate these little bits of African with both African Americans and European Americans who trace back to the same families I am descended from.

Using genealogical research I've found that I'm descended from a mixed-race family in Tidewater Virginia in the 17th century. In North Carolina, some of my ancestors from this family were listed as "mulatto" in various records. Extensive DNA testing from my male cousins in this line (direct male-lineage carrying the surname from multiple lines of descent) show they all carry the y-haplogroup E-P277, which is Subsaharan African in origin. Research from the 1,000 Genome Project and FTNA Big Y tests have identified genetic connections to The Gambia in West Africa.

So, I would caution not to automatically dismiss small percentages as "noise". I would do research to try to prove or disprove the validity of that small percentage. If possible, y-DNA research is incredibly useful in this regard.

Comment

• winner
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by NCroots View Post
      It could be. I show .1% Subsaharan African (broken down as <.1% West African, <.1% East African, and <.1% Broadly Subsaharan African) with 23andMe. Two places on two different chromosomes are identified as Subsaharan African; when I do the chromosome painting on GEDmatch, those segments on those two chromosomes consistently show up as African. I've also been able to triangulate these little bits of African with both African Americans and European Americans who trace back to the same families I am descended from.

Using genealogical research I've found that I'm descended from a mixed-race family in Tidewater Virginia in the 17th century. In North Carolina, some of my ancestors from this family were listed as "mulatto" in various records. Extensive DNA testing from my male cousins in this line (direct male-lineage carrying the surname from multiple lines of descent) show they all carry the y-haplogroup E-P277, which is Subsaharan African in origin. Research from the 1,000 Genome Project and FTNA Big Y tests have identified genetic connections to The Gambia in West Africa.

So, I would caution not to automatically dismiss small percentages as "noise". I would do research to try to prove or disprove the validity of that small percentage. If possible, y-DNA research is incredibly useful in this regard.
      Thanks, NCroots!

How do I get painting my chromossomes, on Gedmatch?

Comment

• NCroots
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by winner View Post
        How do I get painting my chromossomes, on Gedmatch?
        On the main GEDmatch page, under Analyze Your Data, click on Admixture (heritage). Select a project to use (Eurogenes is my favorite). Beneath that you are asked to select how you want to process your results. There is an option for chromosome painting, chromosome painting--reduced, and chromosome paint differences between two kits.

Comment

• georgian1950
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2012

I have serious doubts that the chromosome painting is at all accurate. Getting even a reference population close is extremely difficult. People are reading way too much into the chromosome painting.

Jack

Comment

• NCroots
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
            I have serious doubts that the chromosome painting is at all accurate. Getting even a reference population close is extremely difficult. People are reading way too much into the chromosome painting.

Jack
            Personally, I have found the chromosome painting to be very accurate and congruent. Nevertheless, that is why I also rely on my cousins y-DNA tests and old-fashioned genealogical research to prove our West African ancestor.

Comment

• Informed
              FTDNA Customer
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by NCroots View Post
              Personally, I have found the chromosome painting to be very accurate and congruent. Nevertheless, that is why I also rely on my cousins y-DNA tests and old-fashioned genealogical research to prove our West African ancestor.
              Smart.
              According to two experts, who are scientists, the chromosome painting is highly accurate.
              They also did CP for me. So big thumbs up for gedmatch.
              I have used it to confirm triangulated relationships further.
              DNA doesn't lie.

Comment

Working...
              X