Lack of interest in DNA, or typical lull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arch
    • Mar 2009

Lack of interest in DNA, or typical lull?

I'm notice less and less activity on both Family Tree DNA and DNA-Forums. Is this due to the economy, lack of interest, or is it just the typical lull?

Arch
  • spruithean
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Arch View Post
    I'm notice less and less activity on both Family Tree DNA and DNA-Forums. Is this due to the economy, lack of interest, or is it just the typical lull?

Arch
    I'm thinking typical lull, and lack of interest..... but thats just my thoughts.

Comment

• Deirwha
      • Jun 2008

wondering too

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
      I'm thinking typical lull, and lack of interest..... but thats just my thoughts.
      I suspect it is akin to the downside of some of my more favorite TV channels like History and discovery ... only so many reruns and repackages of the same thing. This whole business requires a great deal of patience and the correct answer, that there are not answers yet, feels somewhat vaguely dissatisfying.

Comment

• MJost
        • Mar 2009

Arch
        I think its the Economy situation. Many can not afford to spend the money on it even though the prices are coming down.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
          FTDNA Customer
          • Feb 2006

As for me, I'm tired of the lack of progress. We keep going over the same old stuff. I'm mostly speaking of my U5b2 (11653G) and its lack of significant progress. As for my R1a1 (Norway), there isn't much to say.

Comment

• Jim Honeychuck
            • Jun 2006

Although I don't actually keep track of the figures, it certainly seems that the no-response rate for my mtDNA matches has increased. Of my most recent matches, 2 replied to my e-mail and 10 did not.

Some people have replied to me just to say that they don't understand their results.

The people who are really keen on this research probably tested a few years ago. I suspect that some of the test results we are seeing now are the result of unwanted Christmas, Father's Day, and Mother's Day gifts. Results come in, the recipient glances at them and then ignores them.

Regards,
            Jim

Comment

• Jim Barrett
              R-BY55907
              • Apr 2003

I think the economy has a lot to do with the lack of new orders.

I think a lack of understanding of the potential of DNA testing has a lot to do with the dissatisfaction being expressed here. Many people think their Y-DNA results is going to provide them with three or four more generations of their paternal line. In most cases it won't give them any. What it may do it provide them with matches that will 1) help point them in the right direction for their genealogical research and 2) maybe eliminate some possible lines from their research.

DNA is not a replacement for genealogical research, it is just one more tool to aid in the research.

Haplogroup studies take years and tons of data to be of any value. This takes years. There won't be new information every week or so.

I tested in 2002. I have some matches but I haven't moved back one generation. The "I want it now" generation shouldn't bother with DNA testing. It won't work for most of them.

Comment

• lgmayka
                FTDNA Customer
                • Mar 2006

Frankly, I think DNA-Forums is still quite active. People are attracted to it partly because of its precise forum classification, and partly because the experts tend to congregate there.

However, I do perceive some slowdown in test orders. In the current economic situation, I think many people see DNA tests as a postponable expense. FTDNA may want to consider offering a "sale" on marker upgrades, as they did at one point last year (or was that in 2007?).

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2006

There has been a lot of movement to autosomal testing, which leaves me out except as a vicarious observer. Then too, I also log on to various bird watching sites, which are busy now during the spring migration season.

Comment

• JerryNicholson
                    • May 2009

Hi folks. I just got my 12 marker test back and am awaiting results on 25 and 37. Fascinating stuff, this DNA geneology testing.

Has anyone else had a problem viewing extended 12 marker matches? I get the first 25 or so names but when I click on the link to show the other 500 or so matches I get a server time out error. I also get an error when I try to use the FTDNA link to upload to ysearch.

Is it me or them? I'm using firefox 3.09 on (ugh) dialup.

Comment

• Daniel72
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by JerryNicholson View Post
                      the other 500 or so matches
                      *Jealous*

Let me guess, you are R1b?
                      I have like 40 matches at 12 markers.

Well, try again later.
                      I had strange effects/error messages several times too.
                      They usualy had gone away several hours later.

Comment

• JerryNicholson
                        • May 2009

Yes, it would appear that I'm an R1b. Can they really pinpoint it at 12 markers?

Comment

• Daniel72
                          • Apr 2009

Yes, it would appear that I'm an R1b. Can they really pinpoint it at 12 markers?
                          Well at a very high chance.

Besides that, if your roots are in western Europe... 50% or more of all Western Europeans are R1b. Basques or people from the "celtic" parts of Britain more than 80%, in some villages 98%

Its the most common haplogroup in Europe and the most well researched Haplogroup of the planet.
                          Last edited by Daniel72; 13 May 2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• darroll
                            • Jun 2006

Pay National Geographic fifteen dollars and see what country your DNA matches.
                            Then work from there.

Comment

• Stevo
                              R1b-FGC36981
                              • Apr 2006

Usually. Have you created a YSearch entry yet? You can do so easily from the link on your "Y-DNA Matches" page. Just click where it says, "Click here to upload to Ysearch.org" and follow the instructions. Then run your haplotype for matches and see what you get.

Of course, you should upgrade to more markers (67 ideally) as soon as you can. The Deep Clade-R test is also really necessary for an R1b if you're ever to learn much about your origins. You can order it from the link on your "Haplotree" page.

I've never regretted the upgrades I've ordered from FTDNA. Worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                              X