• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrstdvd
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2016

I have no idea where to post this

Girl dna is beyond my comprrention. I have 3 daughters but I have no idea of what test to recommend to them. I feel pretfy good telling them about Familuy Finder but after that i am lost.

What test does a girl order to get her mitrocondnal DNA tested?

And is there a test where she can see results from her two X Chromksomes?

Heck, is there a test I could take to see my mother's micondeinal and X chomosme results.
  • MoberlyDrake
    mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
    • May 2010

As for as mitochondrial (mtDNA) goes, all children, male and female) get their mtDNA from their mother, but only the girls pass it on to their children.

Your mtDNA and your children's are the same, so you just need to test yourself, or one of your daughters. However, mtDNA is of limited use in genealogy.

As for Family Finder, if you can test both parents, you don't need to test the children at all. And if you can test all 4 grandparents, it's even better. It's best to test the earliest generation possible in the branch of the tree you're interested in researching.

Comment

• prairielad
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post

Your mtDNA and your children's are the same, so you just need to test yourself, or one of your daughters. However, mtDNA is of limited use in genealogy.

If OP is the mother, if Father then mtDNA will be different then his children.

Comment

• The_Contemplator
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
        Your mtDNA and your children's are the same, so you just need to test yourself, or one of your daughters.
        This assumes chrstdvd is female and the biological mother of the daughters.

Chrstdvd, you do not have the same mtDNA as your daughters if you are male. You would have the same mtDNA as your mother and your daughters would have the same as their mother.

As far as which test to choose, the mtDNA Full Sequence is the one to go with. It will give you the mitochondrial haplogroup and matches who share the same mtDNA.

As MoberlyDrake stated, it typically is not as useful for genealogy because it changes less often, not many people take it, and it is harder to track the maternal line due to surname changes.

Comment

• prairielad
          FTDNA Customer
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by chrstdvd View Post

What test does a girl order to get her mitrocondnal DNA tested?
          This depends on if you want the final known haplogroup assignment, then FMS test.

And is there a test where she can see results from her two X Chromksomes?
          It is included in the Family Finder test

Heck, is there a test I could take to see my mother's micondeinal and X chomosme results.
          Like testing your daughters mtDNA, it would depend on level of testing and purpose.

As for X(assuming you are male), if you have done Family Finder, your single X from your mother has been tested, which is a random 50% of your mothers two. Which in turn, you passed on your single X chromosome to each of your daughters intact. Each of their paternal X's will be identical to yours.

Comment

Working...
          X