Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Blogs > Searching for Hudsons: My Journey to Find a Common Ancestor

My name is Stephen Rhodes and I have been a part of Family Tree DNA since 2005 when I first tested my Y37. The first few years were frustrating because I had virtually no Rhodes who related to me genetically. Then one day I decided to call Family Tree DNA and ask what was up with this. I told the person who answered my dilemma and she looked up my account. I also told her than I was confounded by the genetic matches that I did get - a bunch of people named Hudson. She looked at my results and as tactfully as she could told me that, genetically-speaking, I was not a Rhodes, but a Hudson. I was in the wrong family group because my genes told a different family story than did my genealogy.

Since that revelation, I have made contact with a number of Hudson relations, but so far I have not found the common ancestor. This blog is the story of my search.

Since 2005, I have taken the Y67 test and also the Y111 just last year. I have also enrolled with the Family Finder, and most recently, have asked for my mtDNA full sequence. I am currently contemplating taking the Big Y.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. If you are a Hudson, and are reading this, shoot me an email and let's talk!
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Hudson-Rhodes Working Hypothesis

Posted 29th December 2015 at 03:11 PM by Stephen Rhodes (Searching for Hudsons: My Journey to Find a Common Ancestor)

I am in the midst of developing a working hypothesis on how my Rhodes line is connected to the Hudson family. In looking at the relevant census records for the counties in which my Rhodes ancestors lived and around which time there was a male birth in my line.

The most fruitful possibility is Rockingham County, NC circa 1810. My 2nd great-grandfather, Joseph Rhodes, was born that year - which is fortunate because it was a census year. This would make his mother, Johanna Barnes,...
FTDNA Customer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8199 Comments 0 Stephen Rhodes is offline Edit Tags
Old

A Little About Me

Posted 28th December 2015 at 08:50 AM by Stephen Rhodes (Searching for Hudsons: My Journey to Find a Common Ancestor)

Hi! My name is Stephen Rhodes. I am a United Methodist pastor and writer in Richmond, Virginia. I am married to Lynn Rasor and together we have five children: Cora, Hannah, Sarah, Gabbie and Abraham.

I began researching my family history in earnest in the mid-1990s. I have worked on and off with it ever since. I use Family Tree Maker to keep up with my research, and currently have over 15,000 names in my database. I have uploaded my family tree gedcom to Family Tree DNA and...
FTDNA Customer
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4462 Comments 0 Stephen Rhodes is offline Edit Tags