Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Blogs

Experiments with genetics data and software.
Old
Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.

DIY Genetics: First Experiment Results

Posted 27th December 2011 at 10:27 AM by nathanm (DIY Genetics)

After months of experimenting, here are the first results I'm comfortable sharing. Keep in mind much of the process is by necessity subjective: which populations and SNPs to include, how many components to analyze (K), how to group and sort the populations, and assigning names to the components. What's absolutely objective is the percent of each component for the populations. Those are calculated by the algorithm in Admixture, based on genetic similarity. The Admixture runs took between 24 minutes...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf exp-diag.pdf (19.5 KB, 1279 views)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8583 Comments 1 nathanm is offline Edit Tags
Old

DIY Genetics: Introduction

Posted 27th December 2011 at 10:11 AM by nathanm (DIY Genetics)

I've been doing my own bio-geographical ancestry (BGA) experiments with the raw data from my mother's and my Family Finder (FF) tests and my father's from 23andMe. What got me started was reading the various genome bloggers who have BGA projects. I don't meet the criteria for inclusion in any of them, but did get my dad into the Eurogenes Genetic Ancestry Project, the newer Artemis Project, and later the Dodecad Ancestry Project. This was well before Dienekes first released the DIYDodecad program,...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4550 Comments 2 nathanm is offline Edit Tags