Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Blogs > Seeking Paternal Grandparents (ie, Doss/Nelson)

This blog is created to document the search for my paternal grandparents and to serve as a central online repository for sharing my accumulated knowledge and search techniques as well as possibly gathering recommendations and information from others who are also involved in their own genealogical research.
Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Be prepared! Be very prepared!

Submit "Be prepared!  Be very prepared!" to Digg Submit "Be prepared!  Be very prepared!" to del.icio.us Submit "Be prepared!  Be very prepared!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Be prepared!  Be very prepared!" to Google
Posted 13th July 2015 at 08:24 PM by RicknTX
Updated 15th July 2015 at 11:27 PM by RicknTX

One suggestion for anyone who is interested in seeking answers to questions regarding their ancestry - be prepared to accept the bad with the good!

My sister and I have BOTH been trying to identify and confirm who our biological grandparents are. We know that our mother was married five times, and that children were produced out of three of those marriage...two from our dad, three from stepdad#1, and three from Stepdad#2. Well, after comparing my autosomal test results against my sister's test results, it now turns out that after over 67 years of thinking she and I were full-blooded siblings, we are only half-siblings.

Making matters worse, it is now apparent that HER biological father is not among the men my mother has married. Since our mother is no longer alive we can discount her for gathering information. My sister's efforts in trying to locate what we thought was OUR biological grandparents was misdirected, because we now know that rather than be looking for our biological grandparents, she should be seeking HER OWN biological FATHER.

Even so, she still spends much of her time tracing down online leads to help further my research while also trying to find genetic ties to herself that might help her identify who her true father is.

So, all you lost family seekers, be very prepared for what you might discover in your searches. It might be more than you were prepared for.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6657 Comments 0 Edit Tags