• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMK
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2013

Can someone help me explain this family finder match

My question is this match on the female side of my Paternal Lineage as he matches me and my half sister on my father's side on the same Chromonsomes and He also matches me on Ydna as 3 off at 37 markers so we must be relative by two different persons.

Compare List 5+cM
    Predicted Relationship: 3rd Cousin

He Matches Myself

Total CentiMorgans (cM): 55.7
    Shared DNA Segments: 7

on chromosome 1 from position 204786848 to 213031724 for a total of 10.22 cM.
    on chromosome 12 from position 13094309 to 51233157 for a total of 36.88 cM.

He Matches Half sister on father's side

Total CentiMorgans (cM): 74.54
    Shared DNA Segments: 16

on chromosome 1 from position 204407834 to 213031724 for a total of 11.21 cM.
    on chromosome 12 from position 16406198 to 50844139 for a total of 32.48 cM.

Thanks DMK
  • travers
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2010

I don't understand, what makes you think this person is related on your father's mother's side? The only thing you can say is that they are related on your father's side. Since there is also a Y-DNA match in play I would be tempted to just look at your direct male line first, your father's, father's side.

Comment

• DMK
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by travers View Post
      I don't understand, what makes you think this person is related on your father's mother's side? The only thing you can say is that they are related on your father's side. Since there is also a Y-DNA match in play I would be tempted to just look at your direct male line first, your father's, father's side.
      Sorry for my lack of experience but thank you for your reply. I have tried to contact this match but he gives up no family tree are contact address.

Comment

• S9 H9
        FTDNA Customer
        • Nov 2013

A 3 step distance on a Y-37 test is not that close. The most recent common Y-line ancestor could be very many generations ago.

In using Family Finder, you can try to see who else matches you in those parts of your chromosomes (you can download a .csv file of all your FF matches.)

Because you have two copies of each chromosome doesn't mean that a third party who matches you in those spots has to be related to your target match, but it is a start.

Comment

Working...
        X