Halogroup X - Don't know how to interpret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halogroup X - Don't know how to interpret

My test results determined that on my Mother's side, I am Halo X...

The HR I sequence was: 16182C, 16183C, 16189C, 16223T, 16255A, 16278AT, 16519C.

Not sure what that means...but thought I would put it out there...

I know I am by small part Native American (mother's side....) but always thought I was primarily of British/Scottish origin.

Family names on my Mother's side were Chase, Lancaster, Eastern....

Confused around where to go next...did my people migrate to Eurasia...then to western Europe? Am I an X due to the Native American ancestory? Think I am Cherokee...1/32...not much. Help, please?
    Thanks!
  • lgmayka
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2006

This source seems to rule out Native American ancestry along your matrilineal line:

---
    The Native American–specific clade X2a appears to be defined by five mutations, three in the coding region (8913, 12397, and 14502) and two in the control region (200 and 16213) (fig. 1). The transition at np 200 was seen in virtually all previously analyzed Native American haplogroup X mtDNAs, whereas the transition at np 16213 was absent in some of the Ojibwa described by Brown et al. (1998).
    ---

You can read the rest of the paper for details on the origin and diffusion of haplogroup X.

Comment

• rainbow
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2006

Umm...when I looked at the chart that came with my Genographic Project kit, I saw that X line. It seems pretty far-fetched to me that a European line got into Eastern North America via Asia. I am actually giving some thought to the idea that maybe the story of Atlantis is true, and that that is how X is found on both sides of the Atlantic. What if there really was a land mass in the Atlantic, a very long time ago, with people living there.
      I also wonder about the story of "Lemuria" in the Pacific.

Comment

• lgmayka
        FTDNA Customer
        • Mar 2006

I, too, consider some sort of Atlantic crossing a possibility--if not during the Paleoindian period (e.g., 10000 years ago), then perhaps in early history (e.g., 2500 years ago, by the Phoenicians). See Thor Heyerdahl's Ra Expeditions.

Comment

• Paul_Johnsen
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by lgmayka
          I, too, consider some sort of Atlantic crossing a possibility--if not during the Paleoindian period (e.g., 10000 years ago), then perhaps in early history (e.g., 2500 years ago, by the Phoenicians). See Thor Heyerdahl's Ra Expeditions.

Aren't female mariners quite rare?

Comment

• ragnar
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jan 2006

Someone had to do the cookin' while the others paddled or sailed or caught the food.

Comment

• rainbow
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ragnar
              Someone had to do the cookin' while the others paddled or sailed or caught the food.

That is a bit sexist. Maybe the women were like Amazons, and they had men do the cooking

Comment

• ragnar
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jan 2006

Maybe so, or shared duties or whoever was best at doing whatever.

Comment

Working...
                X